Would you try to push or go right into c-section with a 10 pound baby?

While watching "A Baby Story" on TV. I was shocked that a doctor did not offer the healthy mom and baby a chance to push after an ultrasound revealed that the baby was likely 10 lbs. A c-section was scheduled while she was already in active labor.

Would you let the doctor do the c-section or try to push first?

I have witnessed 10 and 11 lb babies get pushed out. It happens...

Personally, I say push. But that is only my opinion. What is yours?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 4:20 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Push! Do they even realize what healing from the surgical removal of a 10lb baby would entail? Personally I would like to be able to hold that baby at some point in the first 3 months.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• i think its stupid to do a c-section unless it is medically needed because of the baby or the mother. i was over 10 lbs and my mom didnt do a c section my bf was 1o lbs 9 oz and his mom had him NATURALLY no drugs nothing....
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 4:23 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Uh no, not me. I wouldn't push a baby that size out. I'd go for the c-section. I have to add though that sometimes the doctors can be off on the size of the baby. I was told my son was going to be at least 8 pounds, and he was only 6 and a half!
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I dont know if I'd want to push that out....
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• A friend of the families had 10 lb 6 oz little girl completly naturally. Now that I could'nt do.
    tat2edmommyof2

Answer by tat2edmommyof2 at 4:31 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• If you made the baby then your body can handle it. I had a friend that homebirthed a 9 lb 14 oz baby girl. It's not impossible. It's not like you're pushing the baby out of a 2 cm hole. That's why they call it dilating.
    Alma_C

Answer by Alma_C at 4:33 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would say PUSH! A womans body can do amazing things.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 4:45 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• A woman can do amazing things, and also, this is for everyone to remember:

On your patient bill of rights (yes, one exists and should be visibly posted in every hospital) it states that you have the right to refuse. So, if your doctor even thinks about taking you down to surgery for a C-Section when are are saying no and it is not a medical emergency, and he takes you down there anyways, he is asking for a major lawsuit.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 4:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I have 4 kids, and my biggest was 9lbs 6oz. ~~ He was BY FAR the easiest delivery of them all!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:54 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I would absolutely try pushing! I am only 5'2" and petite and my daughter was 9lbs and it only took 3 hours of labor and pushing and she was out! I never thought I'd be able to have such a big baby and I did with no problems, so I def think most women can handle it.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 5:01 PM on Nov. 5, 2008