Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I file for full custody?

If her father barely pays any child support and hardly ever comes to pick her up, can I fight for full custody?


Asked by Bumble_She at 10:02 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 6 (109 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Laws vary from state to state. If you cannot afford a lawyer, try calling your local University w/ a law school. You could also call a local TV station when they have an "ask the expert" lawyer call-in nite. Or you could try your local bar assoc. for a free or low cost consultation w/ a domestic relations attorney. Sounds like you already have primary custody & he just has visitation. He's the real loser in all of this, since he is missing out on a relationship w/ your child. I know it's hard to look at it like that sometimes, esp. if he's behind on support too. Good luck w/ everything.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:19 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • You can, but it's doubtful you will get it if he fights it. Child support has absolutely nothing to do with custody - my ex hasn't paid a dime in over 2 years, but he still has visitation.

    Answer by missanc at 10:03 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • I doubt that they would fight it too much since in most states, visitation and child support are seperate from custody.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • Ask a lawyer in your area cause laws are different everywhere, full custody to you will still give him visitation rights but clears you of needing to ask him for help/permission in important things such as medical surgeries, treatments and schools, moving,..........I'd ask a lawyer, look up your state laws through internet and if feesable then file a petition in clerk of courts.

    Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:09 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

  • I have full legal and physical custody of my kids. To this day Im trying to figure out what the heck the difference is between joint and full. Doesnt change child support, doesnt change me being able to move the kids out of state. Always had to contact him if the children needed medical attention, and they where covered under my medical. He had access to their school records and I was supposed to provide copies. The only thing that I remember having complete custody control over is where they went to church. Isnt that crazy? That was in California and it may be different other places. Also, didnt effect visitation schedules either....

    Answer by beyondhopes at 10:15 PM on Nov. 29, 2010