How do you help with nightmares?

How do you help your child to get over the fear of monsters or ghosts? My husband and son were watching Ghost Busters the other day and now she is scared that they are in our house! I told them to not watch it in front of her!!! I have been telling her that they are not real and only in the movie! She went 3 nights with being scared and nightmares with staying in her bed last night! What have you done to help your child through this?

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Use monster spray, 1 tsp conditioner mixed in a spray bottle of water. Let her spray where she has seen the monsters. I also got a dream catcher for DD (3) and SS (11) and it seemed to really help.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I gave my DD a teddy bear named Buster that would beat any ghost up if they came bothering her. I tucked her in at night and made sure Buster was on his job. It worked. She was 4 then she is 12 now and still has Buster. Ahhhhhh memories!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• WHen my son was having them really bad I would set up "armed guards" in his room (this is what I did as a kid). I got certain stuffed animals, robots with guns, My pet monster, army guys, and super hero figures and lined them in "dangerous" places around his room, such as doorways, by the window, the bed, the closet, and on top of the dresser. I told him that if he's good to all his toys, they will protect him from unwanted things at night. Not only is he no longer scared, but he takes pretty good care of his toys!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Hi. At these ages, children's bodies are learning to give them the signals about needing to go to the bathroom. Night terrors are the body's way of trying to wake the child up. I just take my kids to the bathroom, set them on the toilet, tell them to go (they're still half asleep), then help them back to bed. Stops the problem every time.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 11:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i have told my child that soon it will be day time and to go back to sleep, so far so good.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 10:45 PM on Nov. 30, 2010