Is this too harsh to say to a 5 year old?

If he is getting on my nerves, to tell him to just hush, cause he's giving me a headache, or say just please go away now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• "Just hush" or "Please, hush"? I don't think that's too harsh a request.... I think the tone used would make all the difference, though.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 10:52 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• wow you are going to get some mean replies on here. i understand you, what i do is i put a movie on for my 13 months old dd and i put a bunch of her toys on the floor. she will sit there watching the movie while i take a break and end up watching it with her.

good luck momma
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I tell my kids to be quiet all of the time. There are just times in the day where I need quiet. I don't see anything wrong with it. There are also times where I need some space I would not tell them to go away but direct them to an independent activity
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Depends on one's own tone and what the child is accustomed to, I wouldnt say it to a child I didnt know well or wasnt mine but, If your child knows that it isnt meant as mean, can comprehend it is meant as you needing some break time,...then its up to you.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 10:54 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• He told my mom to hush, because he was giving him a headache, and then told her to go away. lol She yelled at me for telling him things like that. And now I feel bad.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• he is only five the adult should not be offended I told my son my ears needed a nap help him do somthing that will keep him entertained like coloring all MOMs need some peace everyonce in awhile
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• um your not out of line. i have an 8 year old that will literaly stand there talking until i have a headache and if i dont tell her sometimes i will eventually feellike im going crazy.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:01 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I'm sure she told you that at one time or another. You are doing fine, just hang in there!!!
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:05 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I tell my daughter to "please, hush" All the time!! I hate to hear parents use "shut up' to their children but " please, hush" and "be quiet" there really is no nicer way to put it. lol! You are doing just fine. Like everyone else said all mom's need a break!
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Your doing a great job. Moms will be moms and always have a say. She yelled at you, you can yell at your child.....lol
    proudmama101906

Answer by proudmama101906 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2010