Any other breast feeding moms get comments about their baby being starved??

A few of my friends (without kids) have made several comments about my baby not getting enough milk, needing more food etc..because he is probably starving (he is 3 months old) especially whenever I make a comment about my son being fussy. I know they don't know any better but nothing I say seems to work, anyone else have this problem? By the way, my son is 16pounds for crying out loud! How can he be starved!

I am NOT trying to start yet another debate about bf vs ff. I am just wondering if anyone else who brest feeds experiences this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• i would tell your friend to butt out. oyu are making the best choice for you and your baby.....i bf for 3 months with my last daughter and she was only 13 lbs at 3 months and i was told she was perfectly healthy by the pediatrician.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 11:30 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I hear it all the time, but my dd is slow gaining weight. My production is fine, her consumption is fine, she's just tiny. I hate how everyone tries to pin it on the fact that she doesn't drink formula. It happened with her FF older brother, too. A baby's size sometimes has nothing to do with their feeding method.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:32 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Nope, sure didn't.

Suprising, actually, because I have relatively small children and nursed exclusively until almost a year (no supplemental food nor liquids) then continued breastfeeding until 20 months along with water and table foods. No cereal, no baby food, no whole milk, ever.

DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 11:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• YES. My grandmother and one of my aunts told me I should just formula feed because my daughter was small, she was obviously not getting enough, etc, that they had only breastfed for a short while and then their kids gained plenty of weight once on formula. Well YEAH, formula babies are ALWAYS fatter. Fat doesn't mean healthy. My daughter was always in the low percentiles, but she was and is perfectly healthy. We would even weigh her before & after nursing to make sure she was getting enough. People like to think if a baby is fussy, they must be hungry - but other stuff can be wrong too. Just ignore people. As long as you know your baby is getting enough milk from you and that he's healthy, that's all that matters.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:34 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• My granson is breastfed his dad told my daughter she is starving him cause baby wants mommy all the time and cries with dad ( he didnt used to) and if he cries then he is hungry,--------- the doctor says milk is very healthy, good amounts,........so sometimes its just people like to be stupid, my daughter handles it though , she doesnt care what others say.
    kingkongsmom

Answer by kingkongsmom at 11:37 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I stopped bf when my daughter was 3 months because of low production. The funny thing is I started getting more comments like this after I started ff. My daughter is also very small for her age, but this was true while I was bf too. Honestly people who don't have kids don't realize the multitude of reasons babies cry or fuss. They think it is only hunger or need of a diaper change. As long as you know the baby is healthy don't worry about what other people say.
    Anon344

Answer by Anon344 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Well YEAH, formula babies are ALWAYS fatter

Say WHAT?!?!?!? My bf baby was fatter than my formula babies - please don't make a generalization like that, it's hurtful to those who didn't follow the supposed norm! Yeesh.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010