Senate delays S 510 food safety bill vote until Tuesday

Originally published November 29 2010

by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor

(NaturalNews) Slammed by a barrage of phone calls and emails today that the mainstream media isn't even reporting, the U.S. Senate today has decided to postpone their vote on S.510 -- the Food Safety Modernization Act -- until Tuesday morning.

Internet reports that S.510 has already passed are incorrect. The final bill has not yet been voted on (only a motion to move forward was voted on).

The Tester Amendment has been passed (see below for more details) which would exclude the smaller farm operations from the more onerous provisions of the bill.

Still up for debate are two amendments to the bill from Sen. Tom Coburn, who is seeking to scale down the bill and make it smaller and less expensive. A second proposed amendment would end Congressional "earmarks" -- a tool of financial corruption that lawmakers use to hand out government money to the corporations and special interest groups that got them elected in the first place. I watched a live C-SPAN video tonight of a pathetic-sounding Senator from Hawaii arguing that earmarks should stay in place because it gives Congress more power (seriously).

The vote on the amendment that would repeal the 1099 IRS reporting requirement for small businesses failed, leaving America's small business owners frantically looking for ways to move their businesses offshore before this outrageous new paperwork requirement kicks in by early 2011. (http://www.naturalnews.com/028854_1...)

It was virtually all Democrats, by the way, who voted to keep this outrageous 1099 law in place. (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...) It's almost as if the Democratic Senators can't wait to drive U.S. small business owners out of the country and destroy the U.S. economy in the process.

On the S 510 bill itself, our hope now rests with Senator Tom Coburn's amendments as well as the possibility that more Senators will reconsider their positions on this bill and come out tomorrow to oppose it.

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 11:39 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I have already called my senators twice in the past few months....our house rep also...unfortunately where I live our representation by either in Washington is none...they will vote for what they want,never mind what those whom they are suppose to represent while there wnat....that doesn't matter to them. Yes,I've actually had someone in the office of at least one of them say this to me...sad huh?
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 1:20 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I posted in The Newcomers group and another group a week and a half or so ago and I saw other posts in some groups ...Please post this there so it is seen more....and please let the moms know that this bill in part may make it illegal to grow your own garden and even to own seeds...has something to do with the Maritime Laws(bringing food etc..into our country without proper paperwork?)...We need to get the word out quickly that there is MUCH more to this than just food safety against things like bacteria making people sick and the recalls that have occurred! It's much more serious then that! Please put the word out to call your senator immediately and tekll them to vote NO! Thanks....
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They were only voting to go ahead and vote. LOL I already contacted my Senators but in case it passes which they expect it to, you better start contacting your House reps because they expect it to pass there too when they vote. They want to do it before Jan.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2010