taping a coin on the belly button?!

okay... so I don't know if anybody's ever heard of this but... my hubby and his family have done this for all of their babies. I think it's ridiculous... but it's really important to him. They tape a dime to the baby's belly button to make sure it's an innie... not sure what else it's supposed to do. should I just suck it up and let them do it... or fight with my hubby for idk how long over it. I also have to say that he usually lets me have my say for just about everything else.. so this is obviously really important to him ?!?!?
(they are very clean about it, they don't fish a dirty coin out of their pocket and stick it on with duct tape! )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Nov. 29, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would ask the pediatrician about it, with your husband present. If the pedi says it's ok, then go ahead. Otherwise, don't. I wouldn't personally, babies have sensitive skin and could develop a rash from the adhesive on the tape.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:45 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• id say ask the doc as well. ive never heard of this so hope it goes good
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 11:50 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• I think it's funny to learn about weird family traditions.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:51 PM on Nov. 29, 2010

• Hehe. A coin. Yeah, go with the whole doctor bit.
    Anonymous

• It actually won't do anything, whether a baby has an innie or outie is determined very early in gestation when their abdominal muscles seal after the intestines enter the abdominal cavity. 90% of the time they seal tightly and the baby has an innie, 10% don't seal as tightly and get an outie.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've heard that too. I think its a southern thing. A woman I know took a quarter, sterilized it wrapped it in gauze and then taped it to the babies belly button. I mean as long as everything Is clean and you use the cotton medical tape not the plastic stuff, I dont see why not. I was told not to put anything on the babies belly button to just let it dry out on its own. But I've known people that put rubbing alcohol on it to dry it out or band aids on them to keep out germs. I dont know I think not messing with it works wonders lol. But if it wont harm the baby and its that important to him and his family why not?

joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 12:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have 5 children and we also believe on puting a dime on the belly button. It's like a tradition and yes to make sure we have a innie. And yes we all do. One day when I have grandchildren I will pass down the tradition. It's not going to hurt anything just clean it everyday. Glad to see we are not the only ones that still so it. My DH didn't object they don't beliee in cutting the babies hair til they are 1 and no letting baby look in the mirror til they are 1. So humor him this time!!!!!!!!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010