Is it really benefical for your child to be in Challenge/Gifted classes in school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you child is capable then I think it would be very beneficial. I hope to enroll my son in a Magnet school, when the time comes.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 4:32 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• It depends on the child. I was labeled as gifted although I beg to differ. I went through all the special classes and even ended up jumping up a grade in school. Being separated from the rest of my class by being in the special classes and then skipping that grade I had difficulty making friends and as a result I ended up having no social life.

Having no social life caused me to work harder to get out of school, particularly high school. I ended up graduating high school two weeks after I turned 16. I entered college at the age of 16 and again, had difficulty making friends. This time it was because of my age.

I personally believe, out of my own experience, that it is more beneficial to the child to keep him in his normal classroom and not to separate him from his classmates. It is just as important to develop socially as it is to develop education wise.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 4:36 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I think it is beneficial for highly intelligent kids and the reason is that with the no child left behind act, the general class room is focused on getting kids up to the point of knowing the bare minimum. For a child who has already mastered those skills, or even kids who learn quickly, they will end up bored and loose interest in school. I see the point girlniffy is making, but I think the main focus of school should be to get the most out of an education. I don't know of any where in life other then in school where your only grouped with people in your own age group.

Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 4:53 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I am tackling thisquestion with my own daughter she reads and performs at an almost 7th grade and is only in the third grade, the school wants to put her in advanced classes which would take her out of her regular class for most of the day and she would most likely be the only one in the class. I think i will wait till shes a bit older and more mature to do this though because although i want her to get the best education i think that if she wasnt able to participate in thing with the rest of her class mates and friends she wouldnt try so hard to excel.
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 5:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• There is a difference between advanced classes and 'gifted' classes. "Gifted' is a different way of thinking, and can be completely unrelated to academic prowess. Just like advanced classes are not a sign of an intelligent child. If a child comes from a family where academia is the primary focus, regardless of their inborn capability or way of thinking, they will be able to keep up in advanced classes, simply through hard work.

A gifted child has a different process for how they come to the same conclusions, and may find themselves choosing to express themselves through means that are not academia (music, art, class clowning...) eg. they will have high test scores, but make terrible use of class time. They aren't necessarily the child who wants to please, so much as the child who frustrates those within the system because they think in a way that the system doesn't always address.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• But to the question, yes; the program is beneficial to kids who are in it because it gives them a place to flex that mental muscle. A place to build their more abstract learning processes where compliance isn't the gauge for whether a child is learning.

Advanced curriculum, if you desire it can be beneficial, but in our school they are separate from the gifted program, and separated by subject. A child in advanced math may not be in advanced reading.
    Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 5:39 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• thats the way it is here they want to put my daughter in advanced language (which includes reading and performance arts) but keep her in regular classes for her math. If she wasnt going to be the only student in the program i would go for it but i feel like she would feel singled out and that she wouldnt want to partifipate as much
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 7:43 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I took all honor and advanced classes in school. I liked it (sometimes we did less work than the regular classes!) but was burned out by the end of high school and waited several years to go to college. The advantage to me was, I had to take less classes in college, and college courses were a LOT easier than anything I took in high school, so for the most part I wasn't burdened by the workload and actually took up to 19 credit hours a semester (to get the heck out of there faster.)

My husband says he won't put his son in these if given an option to though because he was in them and didn't like having to do extra work to get lesser grades than his peers who were in regular classes.
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:07 - Who are you? What you posted was my experience EXACTLY - up to the 19 credit hours to escape college faster!
    Anonymous