Breastfeeding....

I have an 8 yr old son that bottled fed. But with this baby (I'm 10 weeks), I am thinking a lot about breastfeeding. Has anyone breastfed? Does it hurt? I know thats the best way to raise ur baby because it will be healthier.... I just want to know what to expect if I do go with breastfeeding! Also is it true that you loose weight and ur boobs stay big?

Mzgiggles956

Asked by Mzgiggles956 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I couldnt get my son to latch on so i had to pump and give him a bottle. It hurt at first but then got better. And it didnt hurt that much. It was more or less you can feel how hard they are sucking. But you can always try and if it dosnt work out for you then go to the bottle. Congrats on your pregnancy.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks so much for the info!
    Mzgiggles956

Comment by Mzgiggles956 (original poster) at 12:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It will hurt at first until u get used to it but my fav thing to use was lansinoh it relieves the chapped feeling u get at first. But don't worry the pain goes away after a little while. I'm still breastfeeding and my son is almost 17 months and I thought I was only gonna make it to the 3 month mark. Believe me u can do it :)
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 12:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks.. I really want to breastfeed so hopefully it works out for me!
    Mzgiggles956

Comment by Mzgiggles956 (original poster) at 12:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didn't hurt or need lanisoh or any of that. Read "Ina May's Guide To Breastfeeding" http://www.inamay.com/?page_id=273   And Go to http://www.kellymom.com/

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My son breastfed from the start with no difficulty. My nipples were tender for a couple weeks, but not painful. Then they got really tough. Except now I'm pregnant again and it hurts to feed him!

Besides being healthier than formula, breastfeeding gives you a very special bonding time with your child. There is nothing that can replace holding your child to your bare skin and nourishing him/her from your own body. No matter how busy you are, you'll have to take the time to take a break, put your feet up, and cuddle your baby several times a day. There's a reason we were made this way! GL!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Oh yeah about the chapped thing...I forgot about that...but my mil told me that you can even use some of your milk and that works the best...I know it sounds grose but it does work great. I would use the cream durring the day if I was out or something but and night i would just use the milk that he didnt drink.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It can hurt at the beginning, but have a lactation consultant check your latch. Another great book is "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". It's written by La Leche League, and basically serves as their guide to breastfeeding. I'm reading it now, and I really wish I had when I was pregnant. DS and I really had trouble BFing for the first 6 weeks following a complicated labor, and I think if I had read that, we would have had an easier time working through some stuff. That said, I nursed him for 18 1/2 months, and I think for the next one, we may go even longer! You'll be really glad you made this choice. Congratulations!! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me; I'm a lactation specialist.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Prepare ahead of time. Get info ans support.
    Doing this prior to birth will be very important.

I disagree that it *will* hurt and that you'll get used to that.
    Maybe it might hurt, but you will learn to correct errors, not just tolerate them.

There are books, classes, groups, all sorts of ways to get help and support.
    :-)
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It hurt a lot at first, for me, but I've come to the conclusion that it was probably due to overactive letdown instead of the actual act of breastfeeding. It doesn't hurt for everyone, but if it does, it's usually only for a few weeks, if that. The biggest perk for me has been convenience. Wherever I was, if my daughter was hungry, I just sat down and nursed her. No buying formula, preparing bottles, washing bottles, making sure I had enough bottles/formula when we went out... It was wonderful. (And my first was formula-fed, so I do have something with which to compare. :) ) As for losing weight and boob size, it varies from woman to woman.

I agree with educating yourself. As with anything in life, knowing as much as you can about it beforehand is your greatest tool.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010