African American Hair.

Anyone can answer if you know. I havent had a perm or any chemicals in my hair since 2007. Thats when I went all natural. To tame my hair I kept it braided. ALL THE TIME. I decided my hair needs a break from braids because I know braiding can damage your hair. So Wednesday I took my hair out and went to the shop for a deep cond, a full blowout and a doobie. My curls have since fallen and the ends are getting a little fluffy. What should I do? Do I need another blowout? Do I need to curl my hair? What about washing, if was it will it puff up like before the blowout? Any suggestions? I know nothing about hair and how to do it. Sorry if the ? is dumb.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Just do a deep conditioner. may tame it down a little. i use to be a hair stylist. worked with some ethic hair. .. try not to go back to braids for a little bit. bc yes it could break it off at some point in time. have you gotten the ends trimmed?
    KCsMom08

Answer by KCsMom08 at 1:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Wish I could help. I usually ask the girls at the shop what products they recommend how often I should wash and how to style it.
    MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 1:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Try a keratin treatment. They are beyond deep conditioning and work wonders for smoothing the hair. I have amazingly tamed the most crazy, troubled hair with this treatment and it only takes 30 minutes. It basically puts the protien back in your hair to reconstruct it. It's about 25 bucks a service and you get it in a salon. Also, what are you shampooing with? That can be the root of all problems. Try Real Control by Redken, or try Miracle 10 products. Fantastic stuff, works great on ethnic hair.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I havent gotten the ends trimmed yet. I plan to go back maybe next week to get it done since it isnt that bad and I went to the salon the day before thankgiving and was rushing. How long should I stay away from braids. This is the first time I've let my hair breathe since 2007. I was actually gonna jump back into braids since I have no clue how to do or care for my hair.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• When I went all natural I went to Carols Daughter hair products. When I went to the salon the other day I used there shampoo and conditioner since I was out.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:35 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Ok wow, you have been braided for quite awhile! Leave them out for about 6 mos. Try the shampoo and conditioner lines I reccomended. Ooooh I forgot, they are a little pricey, but Morrocan oil products, work the best. Amazing. And many african american women come in to the shop to purchase it. Also a smoothing serum helps in between.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• 6 Months? Wow. Ok. Thanks for the advice. I will look into the products you mentioned. Guess I better youtube how to do my hair.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• when taking a shower we usually use a plastic cap which I found out is wrong wrong wrong. That allows the cuticle of our hair to open while bathing. Use a towel or turbin to wrap hair while bathing. I tried it and it worked.
    san126

Answer by san126 at 1:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Get a good shampoo and conditioner. You can wrap your hair at night to help it lay down. keep your ends cuts. And use a good daily hair conditioner. Do no wash your hair every day once or twice a week. You have to keep your scalp clean.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 12:34 AM on Dec. 1, 2010