Does the name Charlotte sound too old fashioned?

I really like this name but don't want to set up our daughter for having an unusual name and a hard time in school. Her middle name would be Nicole, the same as our first daughter because my little sister and I had the same middle name and I really liked that growing up especially since technically she was my half-sister. It solidified our sisterly bond :) lol

katie23

Asked by katie23 at 2:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Baby Names

• I think thats a beautiful name.
    alissawuthrich

Answer by alissawuthrich at 2:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It is not old-fashioned, and even if it was, what is wrong with that?

It is a great name! :)
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• old-fashioned is nice ! I went with old-fashioned names because i knew it meant there wasn't going to be duplicates of them in the classroom, lol.....Charlotte is a very pretty name ! and so many options for shortened names if you want to that actually sound nice too !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I like it, it is a classic name. I doubt she will have trouble because of this name.

Leanaidedanan

Answer by Leanaidedanan at 7:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No, I LOVE that name. It's one of my favorites. It reminds me of my daughter's name, Scarlett. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think Charlotte is a beautiful, classy name and I would consider using it if I were having another daughter.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No, I think that would be a lovely name!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It is a very classic name. Keep in mind though that old-fashioned names are "in." Isabella, Sofia, Ava, Emma, and Abigail were all in the top 10 last year and Charlotte has been steadly climbing the charts. Your child may end up with a much more popular name than you intended.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think it is a lovely name. First of all, I don't think it sounds old-fashioned. Secondly, even if some people think it does, the older names are kind of in vogue right now, aren't they? Thirdly, if she decides it's too old-fashioned for her, she could go by Charlie! I think it would be AWESOME to have a name like this, where you could be super-feminine Charlotte OR super-cute and gender-neutral Charlie. I have a somewhat unusual and very feminine/fancy first name, but it comes with a very cute and not at all fancy nickname. I use both, and I love having both options! :o) Good luck to you, and congratulations!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 12:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks ladies. Dh and dd are all about the name Madison Nicole so I don't know if I will be able to convince them! lol What kind of nicknames do you think we could call her? The only one I can think of is Charie? (pronounced like "shark" minus the -k and replaced with -ie). I went to school with a girl with that name but she spelled it Shari.
    katie23

Comment by katie23 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Nov. 30, 2010