Is there anything to worry about when your breast milk suddenly changes colors?

I had my second baby 4 months ago, and I went through this same issue with my first... My milk was always pretty much white maybe with just a hint of yellow, and then one day when i pumped it was very transparent and very blue colored. My mom says that its not normal, and Ive had others tell me its not normal also, but then Ive had a couple people tell me that its fine. So Im trying to figure out if anyone really knows. I just find it odd that it has all of a sudden done this with both of my kids, and at about the same age. Please help me figure this out so that I can know.

alpinestar

Asked by alpinestar at 2:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have never hear of breast milk turning blue.
    alissawuthrich

Answer by alissawuthrich at 2:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Your milk is perfect for your baby. It changes to meet your baby's changing needs and can change colors depending on the foods you eat. The vast majority of women don't know what their milk looks like or how the color of their milk changes. Even if your mom had years of breastfeeding experience she probably didn't have extensive pumping experience. Milk can look white, blue, orange, yellow, red, and maybe even other colors. Blue and transparent is a common description for mature milk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• YES! totally normal, and about the right time for the change as well. When your milk comes in it is extremely fatty (why it looks so white/yellow), after a few months the fat content decreases because your milk changes to accommodate your babies needs.

Breast milk is affected by everything we eat, and I've had all sorts of rainbow colors, from blue, to yellow, green, and even BRIGHT PINK! I ate a TON of fresh beets, and my milk turned pink! Same thing happened when I ate a ton of dark, leafy greens- my milk was green. If I ate a lot of carrots, hard squash- it was yellow/orange.

It is totally normal, and will change colors on a daily basis, even from feeding to feeding. One more thing, 'foremilk' is watery, it is thirst quenching and is what we see at the beginning of a feeding and is a different color than 'hindmolk' which is fatty. We see it at the end of a feeding. Don't freak out over weird colors, its normal :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So its perfectly fine that it always looks like that everytime that i pump?
    alpinestar

Comment by alpinestar (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010