How often are you yourself around other people?

How often do you wear a mask? Lately, I've felt like I've been wearing a lot of masks. I have gotten upset over attitudes and nothing changing--with a few lazy coworkers. When I do vent to a few coworkers (about those certain coworkers), I feel like I'm being shunned for speaking negatively. But when I wear my mask and pretend those coworkers don't bother me, I feel like I'm being used because I'm doing their workload as well as my own.

I also wear a mask around my DS's pre-K. I am kind of introverted and don't always say a lot and sometimes, I feel like I'm being shunned because I don't. So I say "hi" and the mask comes on while I pretend that it doesn't bother me when people don't really talk to me. Maybe I am just being too sensitive or crazy....

Chocolatespring

Asked by Chocolatespring at 2:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• speaking for only myself I am a extravert..all out with my feeling, thoughts, opinions..whatever. I teach people how to treat me and always have. I come with instructions. Now bcause I am not quiet and loud I can tend to be misunderstood. The truth is you are you I am me and lets just be okay with that..
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's amazing how much misery some lousy coworkers can cause. I once did an extremely menial shipping job. I put the bag in the box or sometimes put the box on the belt. Believe it or not, that job was actually enjoyable because the other women at the table were great! Unless you're persuing your life's dream career- wise, I'd say the coworkers really are the job. I've tried the mask at other horrible jobs, but it never worked, and I was relieved & grateful to be fired. Please don't give up on chatting with other moms at the pre-k. Even though I'm an extrovert, I've often felt like an alien in this small town I live in. The bottom line is most of these women aren't looking for friends & it's taken me years to figure it out. I've had success making friends attending various groups. Still, you never know if you might connect with someone & that's reason enough to make an effort if you're looking for friendships.
    Trekfan

Answer by Trekfan at 2:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm only myself around my husband.
    AbsoluteSelf

Answer by AbsoluteSelf at 4:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i guess i wear a mask sometimes, especially at DD's school. I look younger than i am & I'm a young mom. Had my DD at 19. People still think i am a teen sometimes. She goes to a real high class school & i just get lots of stares. I know parents are judging me left & right. So, i just keep to myself & ignore them.

I'm very eccentric & very different from the norm. Lots of people don't "get me" & i don't really care to explain myself to them. I am happy with my small group of friends that i know well & love me the way i am.

So, yeah...i guess i do wear a mask in front of strangers.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't know how to be anything other than myself. Kind of a take me as I am or leave it. I was always taught to be myself so acting like someone else or differently would seem foreign and a betrayal to myself.
    RyleighsMoM3505

Answer by RyleighsMoM3505 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 30, 2010