Sausage Cheese Balls made from Bisquick question?

Years ago a colleagues mother made these delicious sausage cheese balls; the recipe calls for some kind of sharp cheese and bisquick. I've tried and tried to make it various ways and it never tastes just right. I tried the recipe on the box too. Most of the recipes that I found for it did not specify whether to brown the sausage first or mix it into the bisquick and cheese first? Does anyone know? And, care to share what makes your delic? Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I'd like to know too. I made them a couple of years ago and they were too dry.
    Anonymous

• Okay..talked to Mom. You do NOT brown the sausage first here is the 'original recipe"

3 cups Original Bisquick® mix
    1 pound bulk pork sausage
    4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (16 ounces)
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley or 1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
    Barbecue sauce or chili sauce, if desired

1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease bottom and sides of jelly roll pan, 15 1/2x10 1/2x2x1 inch.
    2. Stir together all ingredients, using hands or spoon. Shape mixture into 1-inch balls. Place in pan.
    3. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until brown. Immediately remove from pan. Serve warm with sauce for dipping.
    High Altitude (3500-6500 ft) Heat oven to 375ºF. Decrease Bisquick to 2 1/2 cups; stir in 1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:05 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• my mom's friend makes these and they're so yummy. i've got the recipe from her before and i think she uses a lb of sausage (not browned), 2 cups of freshly shredded colby cheese and 2 cups of bisquick. mix it together and form 1 inch balls, then bake for about 10 minutes (i think). i know that she says she only uses the jimmy dean sausage because that she thinks it's the best in this reciepe.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• yeah i def wouldnt brown the sausage first that will dry it out.
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• Dont brown the sausage before! mix it raw, then bake it all. the recipe I have calls for 1 lb of sausage; 8 oz of shredded cheddar cheese and 2.5 cups of Bisquick. Try different kinds of sausage, my DH loves it when I use Italian sausage or wild game pork sausage.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Oh also; it matters how big you make your balls. LOL (sorry that makes me think of the SNL skit from years ago!!) Iif you make them too small, they will be dry. If you make them too big, they will be raw.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008