Anyone have any home remedies for whooping cough? I really want to sleep.

sickDoc just says it has to run it's course. My throat is raw and my eyes are burning, but I can't sleep. I just want to stop coughing...ugh

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 2:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Health

• Oh my, I am sorry you have whooping cough! I had it several years ago and it hung on for over 3 months. It got a lot worse before it got better. I thought it couldn't be worse and then it got so I couldn't eat because eating would make me cough and throw up. I couldn't sleep. There were a few coughing "fits" where I seriously thought I was going to die because I couldn't breath, couldn't get the air to go out or in. My Dr gave me an inhaler but it didn't help much. The only thing that helped me through the coughing "fits" was just remembering to stay calm. I am very grateful that my daughter had been immunized against it. I could only imagine how much worse it would be for a child to endure.
    I hope you feel better soon and that yours doesn't last any where near as long as mine did. Drink lots of water and get lots of rest, vitamins. Google probiotics (in yogurt), it may help boost the immune system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I had it last year, right about this time. I was on steroids, an inhaler, a nebulizer an antibiotic and a cough medicine. I found it better if I slept in a chair. The cough lasted about 6 months, although once the antibiotics did thier job, it got better. The really bad fits lasted about a month and a half. Did your doctor do a blood test to make sure it is whooping cough? My doc had to report it to the board of health and the CDC.
    tracy0812

Answer by tracy0812 at 5:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Mix equal parts honey (soothing and anti-bacterial) with cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory)

Answer by rkoloms at 6:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010