Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I applied for child support but it was taking a while so I decided to apply for cash aid while waiting after they started taking money away from my babies father I stopes the cash aid and just got the child support, but he decided to quit his job his getting unemployment and they can only take 25% of his income which is like $400 a month so my question is can I get cash aid while being on child support?? I'm so confuse I don't know who to ask for help


Asked by Mommy19323 at 2:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 1 (2 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • Child support is only meant to support the child, not the child's mother. $400 a month is a lot for one child. Are you working? Looking for work?

    Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • Every state is different. In GA you can't get cash aid if you're recieveing any kind of child support. You can call Deparatment of children Services in your area to find out for sure. If they tell you to apply to see if you qualify do it all they can do is say no! I get $83 a week unemployment and they only hlp me with food stamps and medicaid for the kids. I can believe they wont give me medicaid but it's ok the kids got it. I'll be glad when I find a job I also need more money than that.

    Answer by suelo74 at 3:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • they changed something with the medicaid laws, and u should apply again sister didnt qualify and then they contacted her and she did. OP are you talking about TANF? MY sister also gets TANF, and has a child support order (he has never paid it of course) but, he has to pay the TANF back. You should go get the TANF, it will help u out. U only get it for 5 yrs, and if u take off 3 months and dont get it, they still take that 3 months off of your 5 years. Get it while u can, that pos can pay it back. I hate boys like that....I wouldnt call them men, wth kind of man decides he doesnt want to work anymore bc he has to pay child support. Bastard.

    Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 5:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

  • It depends on the state you are in. Most states make you relinquish your CS payment to social services, and then they count that as part of your welfare check. It really doesn't change the amount you will get.
    I WISH I could get $400 a month from my children's father- It would make school supplies, clothes, food, meds, personal care items, and even little luxuries like craft supplies a hell of a lot easier to acquire! I was ordered $374/mo for 2 children, and he doesn't even bother paying it, Presently he is over $4,000 behind.
    That money is for your CHILD, it is NOT intended for YOU to spend. Seems like you've got your priorities bent.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010