Special needs vs normal children adult content

Ok I know this isn't exactly a question, but I want everybody's opinion on what they think should be done or whatever ya'll think on this matter. Anyway, I was watching the news tonight and I heard about a 8 yr old little girl in 3rd grade in a small town school was being threatened, beat up and her hair was being pulled for many weeks. Then on the beginning of this month, the 8 yr old told her mom that a boy told her explicit details of sex. Well the mom found this quite disturbing that that the boy knew so much and went to the school and told the principal what was going on. Even after mom went and told the school, nothing was done, nothing has changed. Later, the girl goes to her mom asking questions about the other sexual acts this boy had told her. Again, she went to the school and raised concerns. Then last monday the little girl called home and asked to be picked up from school. Mom said she was crying and then told her what that same boy told her he planned to force her to have sex with him. Mom notified school leaders, and they told her that she could put her daughter in another class, but this boy would not be removed or disciplined because he is disabled. Doesn't that beat all. If a 'normal' boy child told this to a girl the same things that the other boy said, he would probably be yanked out of that school so fast his head woud spin. Or get a older kid say early teens or something and he does this, more then likely that boy could be addressed by a law enforcement official, and be expelled. Mom had said this isn't fair to her daughter, and she fears this boy is a danger. How does anyone know if this boy isn't going to hurt that girl? What would you all do in this case? Does anyone think that schools integrating all special needs students is the right thing for schools to do? Do you think that just because the boy is disabled, he doesn't need to 'own up' to his bad behavior and get disciplined? Or just a slap on the hand and tell him its 'not nice and never do it again.' What would the school do if that boy decided to follow thru on his threats? Well I know I would be talking to a lawyer, and by the time I am done with them, the school would be shut down due to the lack of funds. Cause they would do better to settle out of court. What would anyone here do in this sitution?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• A special needs child does need to be held accountable for his actions to the level of his ability to understand. I don't know what this boy's special needs are, but this girl should not be suffering at the hands of this boy. This is abuse, verbal and sexual abuse. Special needs is not a protective shield that means a child cannot be punished because he can do no wrong. His parents should have been notified (maybe they were; we don't know from this post), and he should have been disciplined for abuse. I agree with RyansMom -- the school social worker or psychologist should be involved. This boy needs help. Now.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 7:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Special needs does not mean the child is mentally challenged. My child is a special needs child due to a learning and speech disability. It affects his reading. My son stays in his classroom with the kids that are way ahead of him and yes he is still responsible for his actions. The child you are talking about knows exactly what he's doing. I would go down to the superintendants office and file a complaint then also file a complaint your states Department of Education and consult a lawyer! Many parents don't know their rights,or the difference between special needs or mentally challenged. But a special needs child should be held accountable for their actions.Special needs is ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, mainly learning disabilities. too many to list.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 3:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't know why the boy isn't being disciplined. If he's allowed in a mainstream class, then he should be able to follow the rules of the mainstream class. My special needs 7th grader goes into science or health mainstream classes, but he knows if he misbehaves he has to leave and go back to the self contained classroom.
    That being said, I have an issue with you describing your child as "normal" When you use that term, you are implying that my child is not "normal" The correct term to use for children not on the spectrum is "typical"

Answer by missanc at 9:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Special needs vs Normal Children? WTH?

People with special needs are normal. Your hateful condemnation of those who have extra difficulties in life is disgusting.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 11:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My Sp Needs boys ARE normal. They just need special ed and a therapists to help them with the behavioural issues they never asked to be born with. If you can't get the school to get them an IEP program or into Sp Ed, you may have to either move them to another District or start homeschooling
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Removing a child from reality is NEVER in their best interest. Teaching them how to appropriately deal with it (ie, going to the state board of education with a complaint, speaking with the NAACP, and involving social services. Taking REAL WORLD action, not hiding at home and never dealing with the problem) IS in their best interest. There is an object lesson here, even though some fail to see it and would just as soon keep their child hidden from reality.

SN does not mean MC, the SN category encompasses a whole host of LD and and behavioral issues. They are fully capable of discerning right from wrong, and need appropriate discipline. Unfortunately most people associate SN with MC, though a MC child generally is considered SN they are not one in the same. My sister has 4 SN children, and all are in 'normal' classrooms, they simply require more attention and intervention than other children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm not sure what his special needs are, some people with Tourettes will say things they're unable to control, but a third grader shouldn't understand explicit sex acts. I don't feel the school is handling this appropriately at all, there needs to be some consequencesor children can't learn to modify their behavior.  Also if a third grader is  making graphic sexual statements a social worker or school psychologist should speak to the child to find out what is going on.  I think the school is afraid to bring this up to his parents, so they are washing their hands of it.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• speaking with the NAACP,

WHAT??

The school is afraid of being sued by the parents of the special needs child. One of the many results of our sue happy nation and rogue judges.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The school is not handling this correctly. Special needs kids are held accountable. I have, well, technically all 3 of mine are special needs. 2 are ADHD, one also had Aspergers. And the other, my oldest, has Jacobsen's Syndrome. My son with Aspbergers has a 504 plan. That plan allows for him to have things like extra time for homework and projects because he has problems with organization. It allows for extra communication between his teachers and my hubby and I. And it allows for another student to help him if he needs it. I forget what that's called right now. But it also keeps him from being expelled. It's kinda like an IEP for ADHD kids. But, he's still held accountable for his actions, he still gets in trouble when he hits or causes trouble, just not in the same way as other kids.
    As for my oldest son, for the most part, he's in a self-contained class. He's in a class with all only other special needs kids. cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• But, they do interact with the other kids. And when they, the kids in his class, misbehave, they do get in trouble. It's just different then it is for 'normal' kids.
    We don't know what this kid's disability is, the kid you are talking about. But, I can tell you a story. When we lived in GA, my oldest was chased by a boy in his class. This boy was emotionally disabled, not mentally. This boy chased him with a plastic bat, and hit him really hard with it. My son knew what this boy was going to do with the bat, and he was scared. The teacher saw, and ran after, but couldn't stop it. The school called the cops, because that was their protocol. I was brought in. I was told I could press charges. Now, my son was in the 2nd grade, this boy was the same or 3rd. I asked if the parents were getting him the help he needed, and they said yes. The cop knew the family, because of past issues. cont
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010