Not sure what to do...

I saw a picture of my daughter reading a story with another little girl in her class (one who is older and isn't a girl that she normally plays with) so I was asking her if she had a nice time reading with her. My daughter turns to me in a really snobby voice and says "Yes, but she doesn't know how to read, and she was just making up a story. " I think I was more in shock that she actually said it in a snobby tone more than anything. She's just turning 4 this week and has been reading for a while now. She does workbooks (which she asks to do, I don't force her) that are for 5-7 year olds and she enjoys learning, but I don't want her to be annoyed or look down on other children if they're not doing the same things she is. This is so uncharacteristic of her that I'm shocked. She's so outgoing and friendly with everyone that I'm not quite sure what to do. Do I sit her down and just explain to her that different children do things at different rates? Or should I just leave it unless she brings something else up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You need to talk to her about how she is reading at an earlier age them most kids. That she needs to be nice.

Answer by louise2 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You might just say that everyone learns to do things, like reading, at different ages. And it is normal for it to vary. Just let it come up in casual conversation, but make the point. Lead by example how to be kind and generous. Not to worry..............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Hi. I was a gifted child and have several gifted children of my own. Your daughter sounds gifted. What keeps me humble is reminding myself that my ability to learn easily is a GIFT. I didn't do anything to create it. If my mom had taken an antihistamine at the wrong time in her pregnancy, or if the cord was wrapped around my neck at birth (lack of oxygen), or if I had been dropped as a baby, or a myriad of things, I might not be this smart. It's a gift, so as a gift, I need to use it to help others and make the world a better place, not put myself above anyone else. I didn't do anything of myself to get this gift, so I can't take credit for it, or think that I'm better than anyone. Just enjoy it. Teach your daughter this. She has a gift, and other people have other kinds of gifts.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 11:14 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• id just talk with her about it.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 6:57 PM on Nov. 30, 2010