How do I get rid of fungus under the toe nail?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 5:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Health

• Vicks Vapo Rub. Seriously, that's what I did. I put vicks vapo rub all over the nail and on the fungus and put socks on. It took a couple of months, but it was gone and a lot cheaper than the meds.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I had to breakdown and go to the dr. They perscribed me a med that you put on like nail polish. It took a long time but it eventually cleared up. The over the counter stuff usually doesnt work.
    Crystal750

Answer by Crystal750 at 6:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Unfortunately I have no idea, but your question made me remember: "There's a fungus among us."LOL
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 6:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Do you use nail polish alot? If so, you are encouraging the fungus to grow by providing a dark place (under the polish) for it. Feet are especially prone to fungus because they are often warm and moist, too. I had 1 toenail with the fungus under it for about 10 years under my nail polish. I stopped using nail polish and it was GONE in 2 months, all by itself. I was so surprised!! I wanted to give you an alternate to going to the doc for the prescription stuff.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have heard of Vicks as well but it does not always work. My hubs had fungus pretty bad and we did the Vicks for some time with no help. He ended up going to the doctor's and getting a medicine to put on it.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I wish I knew.. Chemo gave me issues and I live with it! I hope you find your cure!!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:10 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No. I don't use nail polish. All summer i wore thongs, so it wasn't in a dark damp place.... I tried the nail polish from the Dr. didn't work. Only other thing is a shot that medicare won't pay for and I can't afford... I guess I'll try the Vicks. Can't hurt at this point....Thanks for all your advice.
    Prayerpartner

Comment by Prayerpartner (original poster) at 3:25 AM on Dec. 1, 2010