What do you think about this?

I was at Wal-Mart and was looking at the gift tree. There was a kid on there that wanted a DSi game and a Wii game now why would you put those expensive things you want on there. In my opinion if you can afford to have DS and Wii then you can afford to buy the games for your child. That's like $60.00 or more some rich person that wants to throw away their money is going to have to buy that kid a present.
I just hate that around here all the poor kids are on for everything they get free lunches,and they are on every Christmas list out there while their parents could work. I am in the poorest school in my town working so I see what they get. They even have people adopt families for Christmas in my school, give them Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners, and the oresents they get wow!
I'm all for the needy but not greedy!

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Holidays

• I agree with you 100%. Some people milk those programs for all they are worth. I feel a lot better helping out in a soup kitchen or food shelf or donating toys to a homeless shelter or the women's shelter. Although even there, people take advantage. I live in a well-off county, and we actually have people moving here from other states simply because the assistance they can get here is so much more than what they can get elsewhere.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 7:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• First no one HAS to buy that for the child. While I do see your point about it being a little much for a Giving Tree, don't for one minute think it's fun to get free lunches or have to get your Christmas meal from a food bank!! It's very heartbreaking to have to admit that you need that help. It's very small minded of you to think it's so "nice' to get all that free stuff. Most people that need that help don't want to be in that situtation.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Some people do take advantage of the "free stuff". My kids are on one Christmas list. They get free lunch but hopefully only for a few more weeks. I would say that at least half of the poor out there are trying their hardest to get jobs and be financially stable. Who knows what the other half of them are thinking. I understand your position. We have a Wii and a PS3. We got them back when we were doing well, then I lost my job and we have been struggling the past few months. So don't judge the parent because of what their kid has. Maybe it was a gift from a family member.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 7:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes, I think $60 is a lot to ask for a free gift from a stranger.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Then don't choose that card on the tree, right? At my church this week, there was a 32 y.o. man listed, and on the card were two lists...."needs" and "wants". He needed shirts and socks, and wanted a warm blanket. I think some people tend to forget the spirit of the giving tree. And it's the KIDS asking for the gifts (Wii, PS3, etc.)....they don't necessarily know what they cost....it's what they'd like for Christmas.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• someone could have an old wii they may have donated to their family...u never know. my cousin gave us his just after i bought one..so i was lucky and took ours back. you can go to game stop and get some wii games for 10 bucks used..most are 20...i don't think the kids would care as long as the game worked.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There are going to be a lot of people out there that will need
    help... With people lossing their jobs....At K-mart I bought
    an senior a shirt for christmas..It was only $10,but at the
    time that was all I could afford.....Its the thought that
    counts.. I feel for all these people that are trying to
    get back what they lost....
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If $60 makes me rich, then I'm doing something terribly wrong.... lol
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• first of shame on you for asuming anything......do you know that you can buy these systems USED at places like game stop...etc.....my kids do have both a wii and DS systems , but they where gifts from family members who knew the kids wanted to be like their friends and i couldnt afford to get them......if you dont like what a child is asking for then move on to the next child because no mater what you give a child they will charish it....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 8:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So a small child wants a video game for christmas and you bitch? Wth is wrong with u? How old are your kids? they have never wanted anything extravagant?? If you say no than I know you are lying Get over yourself. Dont even look at the gift tree if you are such a scrooge.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 8:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2010