Normal to have a bad night when weaning?

Hi Moms,

For one week, we cut out the before nap nursing with great success. Last night was the first night we tried just putting our 16 month old down without nursing, in an attempt to now cut out the before bed nursing. She protested for 40 minutes on and off but then fell asleep. She normally sleeps through the night but she was up at 10:15 asking to be nursed. So, I nursed her because I needed my sleep and I figured we'd try again tonight. She then got up at 4:15 asking for it again but I only patted her back and she went to sleep for one more hour. Since she went to bed at 7, that means she did not get enough sleep (but she's very happy this morning so go figure!). So, is it normal to run in to these bumps when the before bedtime nurse gets removed? Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Completely normal. Hang in there, you will do fine.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Absolutely. But then every child is different. I nursed DD up until she was 26 mo. After she started solids at 5 mo I only nursed for naps, bedtime, and comfort, and that was how it stayed the rest of the time. She kind of weaned herself (which is how I wanted it) but after she turned about 16 or 17 mo I getntly guided her by trying to cut out the comfort ones - only nusring for BIG "owies". By the time we stopped completely, she was only down to the bedtime nursing. She was old enough for me to explain to her that "My bee-bees know she's getting to be a big girl now, and they only make milk for babies. Soon they would not work anymore". With that she was weaned within a week of me telling her that. Finally I just told her they stopped working. She was fine with that - in fact she was compassionate toward ME about it - she would say "I'm sorry your bee-bees don't work anymore, mama.". What a sweet little soul.
    MamaLisa1976

Answer by MamaLisa1976 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010