In your opinion, what's the best way to potty train? I'm desperate!

My daughter will turn 3 in 3 months and she's not fully potty trained. She's trained to poop. However, I have to take her to the potty right after breakfast in order for her to poop. She usually poops in the mornings and occasionally twice a day. I read the e-book on how to potty train a child in 3 days and the approach hasn't worked. When she wets her underwear she still ignores it and keeps playing. When she has an accident she says "oh no!" because she knows she's supposed to go in the potty. Every time I sit her on the potty I can't do it without her kicking and screaming. When I sit her down she throws temper tantrums. I feel terrible.

Also, I have two boys who are almost 16 months and I'll be trying to potty train them pretty soon. Diapers are not cheap.

Is there a better way?? Thanks.

Omayra_M

Asked by Omayra_M at 4:40 PM on Nov. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Hmmm.... I know that with my niece (my mom and I watched her during the day) we made it fun and were constantly asking her if she had to go potty. We would run with her and say let's go let's go and then she would sit down and go and then she would take out the little bowl from the potty chair (my mother started that one) and dump it in the big potty and rinse out the bowl, put it back and then sing and wash her hands. She had so much fun and was trained pretty fast.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 4:44 PM on Nov. 5, 2008

• I'm trying to potty train my 18 month old. I'm not making a big deal out of it. When I think about it, I take him. I bought some pullups for him. He liks that but he doesn't grasp it quite yet. Every child trains differently. I think that someone saying you can potty train in ''x'' days is a farce. Each child is different. It took us almost 1 year to potty train our second child, but our third was potty trained in 2 weeks, and only had a couple of accidents over the next year. I use M & M's as a reward and I keep them in a jar ontop of the cabinet above the toilet. Use lots of rewards, and use something she can ONLY have when she potties, don't give it to her as a snack or whatever. Let her call someone when she does a big potty. Make a big deal!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 10:37 PM on Nov. 5, 2008