How much time should I spend entertaining them vs. them playing independently?

My 2 year old will play all day by himself. The 3 year I babysit wants to be on me all the time. And he gets bored so easily. Especially on the days we can't go outside. His 1 year old sister is a good mixture of both.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My sons have separation anxiety and as such are always in need of being within 15 feet of us. Its endearing and smothering at the same time.

Is healthy for them to learn independence, tho, or they won't be able to function as adults when its time.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Hello! I would suggest spending some time teaching them phonics with A Pretty Girl Was Alpha Bette (boys love it, too!). It only takes a few minutes a day and gives them the 2 most crucial things they need: parent time and reading skills. Never use sight-words. Once they have some nurturing/learning time with you, they should learn to entertain themselves with imaginative play for awhile.

http://thegodfreymethod.com
    RocketMom14kids

Answer by RocketMom14kids at 11:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010