How old were your children when they learned the truth about "Santa"?

newmom28

Asked by newmom28 at 9:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I was just about to ask this!! lol.. Here's a bump because I really want to know too!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We've never had santa in our house.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My ds had asked me a few times started when he was 4 - 5 years old and I'd always think of a clever answer without outright lying to him but when he was 5, almost 6, he asked me to look him in the eye and to tell him the truth... he didn't leave me a choice.... I had to tell him and it totally broke my heart.

simple frown

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 9:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i honestly have kept it going till the kids where about 10 (i think this is the last year my ds is going to let me get away with it).......but then i love all holidays and even had my kids believing in the easter bunny, tooth fairy, and a bday fairy for a very long time......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I let them figure it out themselves.  I think my oldest was 6 or7 when she started to have doubts but I never came out and said anything one way or another.  Whenever she questioned me about it I turned it back around on her and asked her what she thought about it.  She's 10 now and my 2nd is 9 and neither of them believe really.  they argue with their 8yo and 4yo sisters about it (they still believe) but not in a serious way.  They seem to instinctively understand they shouldn't ruin it for the younger kids.  They just like to tease about Santa and how sill it is.  In the end we'll still be doing Santa until my youngest decides he doesn't believe any more.  He's only 4 months so that's a long way off.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My son never believed. His teacher yelled at him last year for telling the class he didn't believe in Santa. He didn't tell the kids we said there wasn't a Santa just that he didn't believe. I received a lot of calls from parents told them my son can believe how he likes and has the same right to voice his opinions as their children. If they can force their myth down my sons throat he can push back with the truth.lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They never believed... I've always been honest with them from the start.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I tell them there is no Santa but I think my oldest is confused because everyone else says there is. If I hear anyone talking to her about Santa I tell them we don't do Santa. I tell them Santa is just like a cartoon, he's make believe.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• About 8 when she found a gift she had asked Santa for and started asking lots of questions and doubting.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010