How to get my one year old off the bottle..Any suggestions

Im trying to get him off the bottle, today I got him to help me throw them all in a bag so he thought I was throwing them all out, really I just put them away. But he helped me throw them out and I told him he was a big boy now and drinks his milk from big boy cups because he wont drink milk from anything but his bottle, but he'll drink anything else from the cups. Any suggestions.

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 9:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Buy fun sippy cups, it helped with my dd (only with her it was getting her off the breast). Also, do you have any friends with children about his age using sippy cups? Seeing his friends using them may help him get the idea and make him want to.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• A special sippy just for milk?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:14 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would try those sippy cups with the soft tops. They may remind him of the bottle and when he becomes comfortable with the sippy cups with the soft tops you can switch to the hard top ones. They worked great with my DS.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It sounds like you already did the hard part in eliminating the bottle.... I like what Saysha100687 says... try the sippy with the soft top.... you probably won't be able to use it for long though, because they figure out how to make it leak really quickly, but it should be a good transitioner.... or, just keep giving him milk in his cups... if he doesn't want it, then just put it back in the fridge and try it again another time... eventually he will take it... That's what we had to do with my DS..... Hope this helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks! So far he hasn't asked for a bottle and I have his milk in a Toy Story sippy but he hasnt drank out of it yet. He tried it and just set it back down. It's nap time soon so we'll see what happens lol.
    excitedmommy22

Comment by excitedmommy22 (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My daughter was attached to her bottle until she was 18 months old and instead of resorting to sippy cups (which aren't much different) I just took the bottle from her and put a cup in her hand. Yes, it gets a little messy but it saves you the hassle of then getting the sippy cup off of him.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Just keep offering him the cup and not the bottle. Eventually he will understand It took my younger dd a little while to get it too.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 5:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2010