my 8 yr old is coughing his head off would you still send him to school even though he has no fever?

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Probably not. They might send him home anyway.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• With mine if they have just a cough and no other cold symptoms I will give them a dose of cough syrup and send them to school. To stay home they have to have a fever, throw up or have multiple cold symptoms.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't, no fever doesn't mean he doesn't have something.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If he's seriously coughing that hard, he's not going to be able to pay attention, and he's going to be a distraction to the other students. If you suspect he's coughing just to stay home, that's another matter.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No i wouldn't send them to school. Only when the coughing eases up some.
    matthew9_22

Answer by matthew9_22 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would, our school does not like absences. If she didn't have a fever, vomiting, or loose stoles, I would send her.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I go through this issues all the time...my son has asthma. So any minor cold turns into a coughing epidemic.

Usually he wakes up coughing severely, after he has "got it all up and out" he calms down, with his asthma treatment and a dose of cough meds...he is usually ok to go.

I always forewarn his teachers that he gets severe coughs made worse by asthma...and to call if I send him and he keeps on.....I let them know beforehand how difficult the decision always is and that I try very hard to make the right decision.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would give him cough medicine and send him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:38 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. Just because he doesn't have a fever, doesn't mean he isn't contagious and how do you expect him and the rest of his class to concentrate if he is coughing his head off and disrupting the rest of the class? He will probably be sent home.

BTW, parents that medicate their kids and send them to school sick, are the ones whose kids infect everyone else and then complain when their kids get sick again.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:41 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• his teacher may send him home
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 8:49 PM on Nov. 30, 2010