Daughter is waiting on medication for a yeast infection that she developed from another medication can I put anything in her bathwater to ease her discomfort?

kellyhopper

Asked by kellyhopper at 9:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try some baking soda and/or cider vinegar. Both are good for restoring ph balances and are soothing. And they won't hurt her even if they don't help. Also, feed her some yogurt if you have any, preferably something like Activia which has the added probiotics in it. Any time you take an antibiotic, it's good to also take a probiotic to prevent yeast infections. Tea tree oil is also soothing if you happen to have any of that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't let her soak in a bath, some chemicals might not react well with the yeast infection. Submurging yourself in bath water, sometimes allows the water to enter into your vagina... I don't think she should be taking baths with any bubbles, chemicals, salts, anything right now...

I could be wrong though...
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't know about anything in the bathwater, but if you can let her go bare-bottomed around the house (and she doesn't end up scratching,) that may minimize the discomfort.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I always take a bath when I have one and it works wonders but I don't have anything in the water. Good luck
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 9:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Teatree is NOT SOOTHING, it will BURN LIKE HELL. It IS an antifungal, and it will help a yeast infection, but it is painful to use. I ONLY suggest using it on a grown woman.

You should not be allowing her to take to soak in a bath, showers will be much more comfortable. Only use a towel ONCE, since the yeast will breed in the moisture and reinfect her.
    You can make a paste out of "Acidophilus" (you get it at a healthfood store, by the powdered kind- you'll find it in the cooler) and apply that to the itchy areas, it is one of the live cultures used in yogurt, and it eats yeast. She should also take a dose of it twice a day, eating yogurt CAN NOT PROVIDE ENOUGH PROBIOTICS to help treat, or prevent a yeast infection.
    Limit sugar in her diet, as well as simple starches, they will add to the problem.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2010