I dont think I am being taken advantage of..do you?

This came to my attention because a group of my friends said that I am being taken advantage of by my "boss" ... I dont think so, and the answers arent really going to change my opinion, but I kept thinking about what they said I was wondering if anyone else sees it how they do ( or how I do )

7 month ago I started babysitting a newborn baby girl ...I also have a 4 year old dauhgter and 2 year old son ( who love her just as much as I do ) ... My husband has a good job and we have a nice house but I wanted to babysit for us to have some extra money and occasionaly my husband has "slow work" and this way we are never short or have to worry about being short on money... Plus the fact that I can have any more kids ( but wanted more ) it was like an "extra" to being able to care for a newborn ( and have the new baby feeling again )

Now I babysit for her daddy... her mom gave her up to him as soon as she was born, for the first 2 weeks he called off work and styed with his parents and his mom helped him.. but he couldnt take off work anymore and neither could his mom ( she also lives in another town) .... So that is when he found me ( his mom works with my mom ) ....

Ok now they say i am being taken advantage of because I have her 5 days a week from 7:30 AM until 8 PM ... I mean yes that does sound like alot of hours ( over 12 ) ... but I really enjoy taking care of her and it doesnt seem like that many house and I usually dont even want her to come home... he also lets me take her places with me and the kids ( dr. appts, the store etc.) He tells me that he is so happy that he found someone he can trust with her and he often even asks for advie or lets me decide certain things for her ( like what kind of food she should have or when to start her on new things ) ...

Not to mention that I believe I get payed good money ... he gives me $400 a week, plus $70 a month for her food and diapers ( and wipes) .... and if he knows I am going to a store he will give me extra to buy her clothes or toys - he even sometimes hands my kids $10 each to get them a toy too...

I think that is pretty good money for doing something I love and having a routine that I would already have anyways, since I already have kids... I think her dad is extremely generous and is trying to make sure his little girl is taken care of ...is it just me or is that definatly NOT being taken advantage of

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• If you divide it up you're getting just under minimum wage. But if you love the job and he treats you well, then why would you be getting taken advantage of?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 9:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think if you are both happy with the arrangement, then it doesn't matter what other people say. The money sounds fair, and if you're content that you're being well-compensated for doing a "job" that you enjoy, that's all that matters.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you enjoy what you do and make enough money to cover all of your needs and some of your wants, you are doing pretty good. At least, this is my philosphy of life. It sounds like you are enjoying having another baby to care for and you are getting paid enough to suit you so who has the right to complain about that? I would let those who feel that you are being taken advantage of know you are happy and that is the most important thing. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• You are definately not being taken advantage of. You're practically her "Nanny", if not almost like her Mother. You're her caregiver. That's exactly how it should be. He's working his butt off to make sure she has everything she needs and doesn't have to go without.

DO NOT LISTEN to others when they say you're being taken advantage of. Hell, he's paying you VERY well. Nothing wrong in my eyes.

Keep taking care of that little girl. You may one day be her only mother-figure.

Keep it up! Sounds like you're doing great.
    AtHomeMommy-3

Answer by AtHomeMommy-3 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It doesn't sound like baby is getting much time with her daddy nor daddy getting much time to care for and bond with baby - but if that's how it has to be so they can survive I guess that's what he's got to do. It seems like an awefullly long time.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 9:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Oh no. I think you have it pretty sweet! I'm the one being taken advantage of with being paid $100 a week ,with no extra money for food and wipes and his mom calling a pick up at 4pm a half day and underpaying me!! I wish I had your gig.
    bingbong

Answer by bingbong at 9:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's obvious that you love what you're doing for extra money, and don't consider it a burden. The compensation is perfectly reasonable; a single parent probably needs a ton of hours of daycare, and he's paying you 1600+ dollars a month for it; few people could afford to pay more than that. I hope you don't get your heart broken when she grows up or they have to move away!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• To me it sounds like a win/win situation for you and for the dad --you have a baby to love, you are getting paid for watching her, and dad makes sure you have the supplies baby needs. Dad he is secure in the knowledge that baby is well taken care of by someone who loves her and someone he trusts. So NO I don't think you are being taken advantage of at all.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Getting minimum wage and still being in your own home with your own kids is like getting paid $12 and hour. What an awesomething you have going. As long as your DH is not put out by this, I think it is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you feel you arent being taken advantage of and you enjoy being there for that baby then who cares what others think. I think its great he has found someone like you to care for his child.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010