too much yogurt?

My 2 year old has entered the picky-eater stage. She actually likes most foods, if I can get her to put one bite in her mouth she will happily eat the rest. But her new thing is "no I don't like that." She actually pulled that with ice cream once. One thing she will always eat no matter what is yogurt- she wants a yogurt with every single meal. I buy the fat-free organic real fruit yogurt without the HFCS (Wallaby or Stonyfield Organic brands) and she eats about 24oz per day total, usually with fresh or frozen fruit mixed in. Is this too much yogurt? I know they have live active cultures, I don't want to overload her little stomach, which is extremely sensitive (between her food allergies and sensitivity to too much red meat or fat, I'm VERY careful about her tummy).

soflashelley

Asked by soflashelley at 9:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call the pediatrician's office and ask them. There could be some medical reason why she should not eat so much yogurt.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The cultures in yogurt can not be over loaded by simple eating yogurt, there isn't enough in it.

But that is WAY too much dairy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think that is fine... yes, it is a little bit more dairy than they reccomend... 16 oz seems to be the norm, but it won't hurt her unless she is allergic to it, and since she hasn't been showing signs of allergies with it, she should be fine. Yogurt is basically nonfat for the most part, so I wouldn't worry about that, and this is probably just a phase she is going through... you are already putting fruit into it, and that is good. If you are concerned about her protien intake, which of course yogurt has some, but if you still are concerned, go to Kroger or Smiths depending on where you live, and buy some of the flavorless protien and mix some of it in her yogurt without her seeing... As for the active cultures, a good majority of those will die in her stomach acid, so don't worry about that... plus you really can't eat enough...(cont.)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• to overload your system anyways.... If she will take juice right now, get her to drink some of the nice tasting V-8 that has the veggies mixed in to boost her vegetable intake... also, try a variety of things as far as vegetables, and present them in a fashion that looks like it would be fun to eat, like making a sweet potatoes mashed and using a cookie cutter to make them into a shape on her plate... etc. Best of luck to you.... I wouldn't worry though, this should just be a stage.... maybe her bones are going to need the extra calcium that she seems to be wanting... Hope that helps!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 10:43 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• She's definitely not allergic to dairy! Soy and peanuts are the things that she cannot have unless we both want to spend the afternoon/night in the ER with her having trouble breathing, crapping constantly, and completely miserable.
    soflashelley

Comment by soflashelley (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think she might be having too much yogurt. Not because of the yogurt itself... but because she is probably filling up on yogurt and not getting enough of everything else she needs and also allowing her to be picky. Toddlers are picky enough. so to give in to their preferred food choices just creates more of a problem.
    If it were me I would cut her yogurt intake in half... giving 3 4oz portions with her meals... at the END of the meal after she has eaten her meal... like a dessert and only if she has eaten a fair amount of her meal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you consume too much dairy, that can actually cause you to be anemic. Too much calcium can make it very hard for your body to absorb the iron you give it, thus creating anemia.

I highly suggest 1. Lowering the amount of dairy she consumes in a day and 2. Talking to her pediatrician about this. You should also get her checked out and see if she is currently anemic.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:15 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• One poor source of iron is dairy. The iron content of milk is so poor that children who follow a diet rich in dairy may develop "dairy anemia," a dangerously low level of iron in the body. Although low in iron, dairy provides a number of other nutrients, including healthy proteins, vitamin C, calcium and vitamin D. Choosing skim dairy also provides a lean source of these nutrients, with almost none of the fat found in higher-fat forms of dairy.
    Razelda

Answer by Razelda at 12:21 AM on Jan. 1, 2011