How ridiculous is this??? What a total let down!

So I live in Utah and I just heard on the local news there may no longer be a 12th grade or graduation what the heck?? that's messed up! Going to school 12 yrs and no graduation?? Isn't graduation a reward in and of itself for completing all 12 yrs of school?? This is really stupid..(this is only in Utah) what a dissappointment to just finish school in 11th grade (only if you have the credits) and no graduation and still even if you have to do 12 th grade no graduation!

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think a protest may be in order where you live!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I hated graduation. I would have gladly skipped were it not for my parents. Sitting through the ceremony and getting the "diploma holder" (not the actual diploma, that was sent to me later) was no reward for my hard work.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That is terrible!! My son is a Senior this year. And I told him his walking across the stage was just as much for him as for me and his dad....... I am sad for those kids!!
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thats pretty sad. Graduating should be a big deal. I wonder if its a lack of funding or they just dont care.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That sucks big time, rally for a change!

Answer by older at 10:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Actually in SOME states, kids can legally drop out at 10th grade (or 16yo) and get a GED. They don't make that common knowledge or all the kids would just stop going if they knew 11th-12th grade was optional and not mandatory.

Found that out by accident where I live, it was shocker and sure enough our teen stopped caring and took his test for the GED and started his adult life while his buddies were still doing homework.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would have loved to be done in 11th grade without the graduation. In fact, I wanted my school to let me take 2 English classes my junior year to graduate early (or count one of my 3 years of speech/debate as an English) but they refused. I graduated with honors and as valedictorian of my class but for me it was no big deal. I'm not really one to get into the ceremonial speeches and junk. I just wanted to be done with high school and move on.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It is a proposal to help save money - Utah is BROKE!
    As for graduation - as a parent who has had 2 seniors....graduation is EXPENSIVE!!! Gowns, photos, gifts, etc.
    What they could do is tap into another state's online system and take 12th grade online.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sorry to hear that. If it happens there though it will be like that everywhere eventually.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• 11th and 12th grade is STILL mandatory. A 16 yr old can drop out, with parents consent but in order for them to be an adult and get a job or contiue their education, they need a GED or HSED. My brother did this and he said it was the worst mistake he ever made. He couldn't even join the military without a GED, HSED or diploma. Now, he is unemployed, alcoholic and 34 years old. He has 2 kids that he isn't allowed to see without supervision because of his anger and drinking problems.

I think it's a shame that Utah is not allowing graduation ceremonies, that is a right of passage for teens... it is when life as a kid becomes life as an adult.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010