...SHE TRIED TO PRESS CHARGES AGAINST ME !

I babysit, well babysat for an almost 2 year old boy... I have watched him for about 5 months, and I really cared for him ..I also have a 2 year old son..and of course there has been a couple times where they would "fight" over a toy or something and I have had to send him home twice with little marks on him ( little scratches) ...my son also had some, but I knew this is normal for rowdy toddlers ( I have never emt one without a "boo boo") ...

I knew she wasnt too happy with the marks on him beofre ( I would tell her about them and what had happened when she would pick him up..she would sigh or roll her eyes or something)

But it must of been ok because i continued to watch him ..she still brought him over every morning and picked him up every night and those were really the only time we had "problems"

Well yesterday he was playing on a kid's wooden rocking chair .... I was sitting on the floor pretty close to him and he would stand on it and jump to me... I told him "NO NO " the first time but he hurried up and did it again and this time fell when it rocked and his back scraped against it causing a long, wide mark down his back .... he barely cried and i put a "boo boo pack" on it for a few mintues and he continued to play until she got there, I immediatly told her what happened and she got very mad and said that I will no longer be babysitting her son... I was upset but didnt say anything, she grabbed him and started walking away and then turned around, pointed her finger at me and said " A two year old shouldnt even have a scratch on him and this is the 3rd time I have came to pick up my damaged child".....

Then a few hours later an officer shows up at my door saying she wants to press charges against me... He said that she came in and showed us his back and they tried to tell her it is normal but that they still have to follow up with her complaint....

I showed them around and told him exactly what happened and he told me not to worry about it, that even his kids has those kinds of marks daily ...and that they are not going to go any further with it...

But OMG ... I cant believe she did that, I understand her being upset, and she has that right because that is her baby.... but to actually call the cops on me for a scratch ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• hugs

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Most likely she didn't believe you. Sorry about your ordeal.
    sweetpea1217

Answer by sweetpea1217 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I knew a woman who flipped out (same kind of way) about a babysitter who gave her child the children's tylenol that was in the child's diaper bag.

Some people are riddled with guilt about leaving their kids... and will fling themselves against any excuse to 'not be able to'... Don't take it personally, she's struggling immensely.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds like she might have had difference expectations on what kind of activities he should have been doing and should have been up front with them with you. As a mother of 3 girls, who are all clumsy all the time, things like that happen. Especially after you tell them "No" because they think its an attention getter. My daughter who is 2yo is always testing boundaries, it's in their nature, climbing on things are one of them. I wouldn't worry about her anymore if the officer has stated that they were not going any further with the charge.
    JesF419

Answer by JesF419 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree with Linda. It sounds like she feels extremely guilty for leaving him. My kids have always been in daycare. They get banged up every so often. It also happens at home. Good luck! I hope it works out.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds like you are lucky to be rid of her. I babysat years ago for a woman who worked with hubby. The woman's mom had been babysitting for her, but would pass out in a drunken stooper while caring for the child. The little girl was very spoiled and expected the same princess treatment at our house, but with two other kids it just didn't fly. Her daughter was treated the same as my own two. She paid me $50 a week for watching the little girl for 10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I'm still not sure what the mom thinks happened, but she decided her mom should watch the girl again. She tried to convince my husband that I was abusing my own children as well and that he should leave me and take the girls.  Thank goodness he was smarter than that.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Wow! I feel for you. You do your best to try and take the best care of her child that you can and this is what you get in return. She really needs to understand that kids get banged up all the time!
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 10:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• yeah.. i think this woman is probably just feeling guilty that she can at home with her son, and unfortunately, your her scapegoat. thats terrible of her to do that, simply because even tho you said the boys 'fight', its still good for her son to be around yours. early people skills are important. and he is obviously familiar with you and your son, so shes doing only real damage to her child, by over-reacting that way. at least the cops were on your side, man. people are ridiculous they will sue, or call the cops over anything. whatever happend to just settling it between eacn other? once she finds out how expensive daycare is, im sure she will be calling you.
    ChiefJaws

Answer by ChiefJaws at 10:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• A 2 y/o shouldn't have even a scratch on him? What fantasy world is she living in? Sounds like she did you a favor by removing her child from your care, because I can only imagine what dealing with her in the future would have been like.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Wow, maybe she needs to check into a daycare with a cloth room so he can fall on pillows and stuff and not be "damaged" (RFLMFAO). What a phsyco lady. The only time I would says omething to the childcare provider is if my child seems scared of them or if it is a serious injury where they wer eput into a dangerous situation.

FYI for you in the future, draw up contract and have a liability clause added to it. You can find them for free (or at least templates) online and can simply both sign them in front of a notary to ensure both of your safety. And any time a child gets injured enough to leave a pretty good mark, gets hit in the head, draws blood, etc... call the parent right away simply to notify them of the incident. That's how my daycare does it. :)

Good luck in the future with your childcare business! :)

Maybe you could advertise on www.care.com. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010