Why would Dems Gut $500 Million From WIC Nutrition Program?

Do they hate babies?
If the GOP did this what would the turn-around time on a “it’s for the children” shrill be?…

(Big Gov’t)- Congress is rushing through its lame duck session to finally appropriate funds to pay out claims from the Pigford II settlement. The settlement is meant to clear up claims from black farmers who claim discrimination from USDA and also missed out on the first settlement.

The legislation sets aside $1.5 billion to pay these claims. The legislation also makes cuts in other federal programs to “pay for” the new spending. Among the cuts are $500 million for nutrition programs for women, infants and children.

From the Senate language:

Subtitle E–Rescission of Funds From WIC Program

SEC. 841. RESCISSION OF FUNDS FROM WIC PROGRAM.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, of the amounts made available in appropriations Acts to provide grants to States under the special supplemental nutrition program for women, infants, and children established by section 17 of the Child Nutrition Act of 1966 (42 U.S.C. 1786), $562,000,000 is rescinded.

www. weaselzippers. net

SavageGrl

Asked by SavageGrl at 10:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• They didn't CUT it, unless you don't understand congress speak. They didn't RAISE it as much as previously expected. That is call a cut in congress.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• This doesn't bother me. Too many women are having babies they cannot afford maybe if we cut the program all together more women would abort unwanted pregnancies and think twice about not using contraception. People who know they will be fully responsible might do better if they don't the child would be taken there are many people out there that will adopt a healthy infant.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds like a good start to me.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The decision for the farmers was made YEARS ago....

Should they NOT get their settlement?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Eh. I can think of $500 million worth of benefits I would cut from WIC.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I understand the formula on WIC because its so expensive. But milk, cereal, eggs, come on. That stuff is cheap to buy and I know a ton of people that get it and give it away because they won't use it. If you have any kind of a job you should be able to spend the $30 a month for that kind of stuff anyway and if you don't have a job and or a low paying one you have food stamps that you can buy it. I think that anything but formula on WIC is a waste of taxpayer money!
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 11:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• " $562,000,000 is rescinded". That isn't "gutting" it?
    SavageGrl

Comment by SavageGrl (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The did not RAISE it as much as projected, They still have a projected ACTUAL increase of 10 billion over ten years. I don't like democrats and will cut them at every possible chance I can, but this is not one of them, sorry.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think WIC gives too much in the first place. I know so many people who give away milk, cereal and juice because they don't use it all. Why not cut back on those things and save some tax payer money? It seems like more and more things are WIC approved now - chocolate milk (was not acceptable when my kids were little), frozen strawberries in syrup (why in the world would this be a WIC food?) etc. Honestly, I think if you get food stamps you should not get WIC, after all, it is food. I guess it's because food stamps can be used for junk - pop, candy, snack cakes, ect, so the WIC is supposed to supply the "healthy" food. Blah, if people would learn to shop more efficiently we would have less people on public assistance in the first place and each family who does need PA could use less of it.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• "Do they hate babies?"

Oh the drama trolling....
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010