Bf does not like cursing....?

Hi,

My BF of about 3 years says he does not like it when i curse. I usually only say "Shit". Yet, he says to me "Your a very bright, educated woman, You should not have to use that kind of language"....

What is wrong with this picture?...If anything

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• He has higher standards than you?

If you became a potty mouth after you'd hooked up, it's misrepresentation (be yourself, from beginning to end)... if, otoh, you've always sworn and he's taken it upon himself to make you a Better Person, laugh at him and point out that he'll have to look elsewhere for a 'project'.

It may be a step on the I Control You road... it may mean very little. Your reaction to it matters: who is in control of you?

Snappy retort: You're a bright, educated man; you should know better than try to change other people... apparently 'should' doesn't affect much.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• To be honest, I am the type that would tell him to shove it. To me, things like that are the first steps on the road to control, which I don't walk!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:06 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't like that at all, he's correcting you as if you were a child. In fact if it were me, I'd probably tell him to fuck off. Please note that I don't care for swearing either.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 11:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My husband is the EXACT same way - he thinks it isn't ladylike. I don't like myself too much either when I start to curse, I think people nowadays use foul language way too much.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 11:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Some people don't like it. Alot of people say it sounds worse coming from a woman. If you are good friends just try not to do it around him.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sounds like he's just voicing his opinion. I think it makes a person sound uneducated as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• People do take cursing negatively and really it's not needed for everyday communication. It sounds like he is trying to make you a better person. If you don't want him to help you out in this way, let him know.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:03 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Educated or not a lady should not curse...LOL,

Sometimes we do, but I think it is kind of yucky too... :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My dad always said if you have to resort to 4 letter words your vocabulary is lacking. I told him sometimes no other word will suffice.

From what your bf is saying, I don't think he is trying to control you, he just doesn't like you swearing. My dh hates it when I swear a lot so I try not to do it so much.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 11:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I would just try to avoid cussn around him, some men think its degradn wen women cuss. Which is not bad. Wen every other word from someones mouth is a curse word its disrespectful and annoyn to hear.
    But if he curses to and infront of u, then he needs to work on being a more educated man...
    Just try a fill it in w a subsitute word, Say oh fecal matter instead of shit and u may realise how stupid it realy does sound or how often ur actually sayn it.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2010