Anyone have any good ideas for kids who are biting their nails at this age?

I don't know why she bites and nibbles at her nails but DD loves to do it and I don't have any good solutions right now, any help or ideas will be great! She has nothing but nubbins. =\

JesF419

Asked by JesF419 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son has always bit his finger nails. I haven't cut them since he left the hospital. I don't worry about it. DH does it too. It is better than smoking. DS has a oral fixation thing with his nails and chewing gum.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I wish my son would bite his. Cutting them is a battle every time. I don't think there is anything you can do. Consider yourself lucky that you have one less chore to do!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It's a nervous habit, and by 8 most children in our culture will have one.

The trick isn't to do anything about the nervous habit itself (because calling attention to the behaviour adds to their anxiety) but to find the source of their anxiety and remove it --to whatever extent that is possible-- and to soothe the child in more appropriate ways when she's clearly feeling stressed.

Self-soothing is always problematic for human children: they don't come equipped to do it, so the means they find to do so are always dysfunctional (and very often self-damaging.)
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• There is some stufff at walgreens that leaves a bitter taste if they try to bite. I forgot the name, haven't had to use it in several years.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't think that she even notices that she is doing it and usually is doing it while watching tv or just lounging around. I think the issues I have most with is the fact that the germs and constant contact with her mouth will cause infections for her fingers.
    JesF419

Comment by JesF419 (original poster) at 11:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010