When is a child ready for a booster seat w regular seatbelt?

It says that if a child is over 30 lb that they could use a bottom seat boosterseat and use a regular seatbelt like adults use. Now my daughter is 31 lb and i just dont feel comfortable or thats shes ready for usng a regular seat belt. I feel she is much safer in a full highback boosterseat w a 5 point harness.
My ? Is wen did u switch to a regular seatbelt w bottom booster? My friends son is 1 month older then my daughter and both are 2 1/2, but he is 38 lb. And hes usn a reg seatbelt

jlouise03

Asked by jlouise03 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Use what you're more comfortable with. My oldest is 52lbs and still has the high back kind, but it uses a regular belt, not a harness. My youngest is 33 lbs and still fits in the one with the harness, so that's what we use. But we are going to be getting my oldest a backless one here very soon because we now have to fit a third seat in the car and there just isn't room with the one he has...

My point is, if she fits in what she has, and you are more comfortable with her in it, leave her in it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didn't go by that. I switched when I felt like mine were ready. Mine were closer to 45 lbs.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My 6yr old 52lb DD is still harnessed in the Graco Nautilus. I think around ages 5-6 is a good age for a booster, but not before. My DD is still harnessed because she still fits, if she didnt, I would be okay with her in a HIGH back booster with the seatbelt. There is a 5-step test to determine if your child is ready. I think you can find it on the safekids.org website.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I never made the switch to even a high backed booster until they were 3.5-4 yrs old. Seat belts are made for adults, not children. They are far safer riding in a 5 point harness for as long as possible.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I just took my son out of the high back booster, he was getting way too tall for it, he just has a regular booster. He is 5 but he is 52 lbs and very tall for his age.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• 40 lbs AND 4 years old is law in most state as a minimum to be in a booster. My DS turned 5 last week and is still 5 point harnessed
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• A 2.5 year old should never, ever, ever ride in a car without being restrained by a 5-point harness. Ever.

A high-back booster with a regular seatbelt is an option beginning at 4-6+ years. The longer you wait the better up until around 65lbs.
    DazzlednSeattle

Answer by DazzlednSeattle at 11:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• my dd is 4 years old and 55lbs, and almost 4 ft tall...she is in a high back booster seat with the regular seatbelt, i switched her early to a booster seat because she was too big for the car seat
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Just realized that your child is 2.5yrs old- I believe it is illegal in just about every state to use one before the age of 4 AND 40lbs. My son is 2.5 and still rearfacing, I couldnt imagine considering a booster for him. Please wait until atleast age 4.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 30, 2010