would this be a bad idea for Xmas?

I have 2 boys, almost 2 and almost 6 (their b-days are right after xmas. lucky me huh)... They both LOVE toy story, and my oldest is asking for action figures of woody, buzz, jessie and bullseye. Well, I would love to get them all, but his little brother will want them too i am sure.. and i cant afford to get them each their own sets of them. So I was thinking of just getting the 4 characters and having "santa" give them to both boys for Xmas... This way they would just have to learn to share them, as they have to with the majority of the other toys in this house. They would still get 1 or 2 things that are just 'their own'.
Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds fine to me.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 11:07 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• In my opinion it's not fair making a 6 year old share with a 2 year old. Him being the baby he is always going to want it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Very bad idea.

One of the problems a lot of siblings have at home is the unclear 'who owns it' issue that is at the heart of many struggles over stuff. When ownership is very clear, and the owner actually controls the use and treatment of his stuff, the need to fight for and defend ownership of stuff melts away --clearing the way for genuine sharing and generosity. It is impossible to 'share' something freely when required to do so by others... that method of 'teaching' sharing has created a great many extremely greedy, controlling adults.

I would spend some time watching them and find out which of the characters is their particular favourites, and then buy them each the one or two they personally want. If that means there's 2 Woodys and one Buzz and one Jessie, that's fine --they'll figure out a way to tell apart their own Woody (or whatever)... and you can always add to each of their collections at the next gift day.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Sound like a wonderful idea. I actually bought a pack of inch and a half toy story men for my nephew. There were like 10 guys for $20. Then I bought him a remote control space ship to drive them around on for another gift. He is 3.5 and loves both toys.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Honestly, I would see what their favorite Character is and then give each of them two and say, oh wow Santa wants you guys to share. I would not say it is for both. A game system is diffrent.

They should each have their own and learn to share them and play with them, that way they have no option but too share if they like the other ones...
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think it's fine. I would do the same thing. You don't need 2 sets. Maybe you can give the figures to the older child, and something else Toy Story related to the younger child. Santa can write a note to share with each other.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:14 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If sharing is going to be an issue, I'd buy them both the same one or two characters and mark the bottom of the toys' feet with each child's name just like in the movie. They don't have to have all 4 characters to have fun. If any family memebers ask about Christmas or birthday gifts you could recommend the characters that you aren't buying.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've got two boys with the same age-spread (they are 6 and 10 now). I can't recall if I gave any "group" presents when the youngest was only two. I don't think that I did, because his ability to share was very hampered by his age. They get gifts to share now, but it's stuff like legos, board games, and other things they do together. Another thing you might want to consider: many of today's action figures aren't safe for younger kids. I just looked at the Kohl's website and their action figure set for Toy Story 3 has a "4 years & up" .

Personally, I would wait until the younger guy is at least 4 years old before giving them gifts to share. If it were me, the 6 year old would get two of the figures and the younger guy would get something with the movie more suited to his age (dinner set? sheets for a big boy bed? character pajamas or clothing?).
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• lol Dr.Donna... give the two year old pajamas while the bigger kid gets toys? I can't even begin to imagine how that would go over with my boys. The younger one doesn't care about age restrictions, but if he knows the characters or even likes the way the toy looks... bigger brother will have nothing but a fight on his hands.

Mine will be (at Christmas time) 3 and 5- and I would get them each two characters. They'll trade a switch- just remind them that they get 2. They learn to share and still can play. Sure they'll fight- but if they are anything like mine... the little one will want both of the same character any way and it'll still be some sort of a problem to be solved. That is how they learn.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• When me and my sister were little, by parents got us a set of four of the horses from Black Beauty. What they did was give two to me and two to my sister. Maybe you could do that? Or simply get the older boy one or two and get the younger one something else. He's going to have to learn that he can't always get what his big brother gets one day!
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010