My family is making me so mad right now. What would you do? Didn't know where I should post this. Sorry.

This is long, but here goes. While my mom was in college last year, she did housekeeping and such on the side for extra income. When she graduated and got a job, she started handing her clients over to my sister, who needed a job. Recently, my sister has started slacking in her job and just stopped showing up to many of her appointments with clients. My mother still gets calls from people wanting our services so she calls either of us to see if we want the jobs. A few weeks ago, I decided to take on two clients because my daughter is now 9 months old and my 4 year old is in preschool half the day, and having the extra money would be nice (my fiance has a good job, but with holidays coming & a wedding in a year, the extra income really helps.) With two kids, a 9-5 type job just doesn't work for me yet, after you figure in daycare costs and such. I love this set-up and it is working quite well for me. Anyways, I took on these two clients and decided to find more work. There was an ad in the paper for a cleaning job at my sister's apartment complex. I called, and got the job. I am very happy about this. I know I do a good job and my clients have been extremely pleased with my work, and I fully intend to bring the same work ethic to this new job. My sister, on the other hand, is constantly bailing on her clients and then complains because money is tight for her. My mother and sister are now extremely mad at me for taking this job, because my sister was also going to apply. I view it as first come first serve and if she can't handle her workload now, how on earth was she planning on handling even more? I also view it as- I went out and got myself a job. I didn't rely on Mom to do anything for me, whereas my sister has been doing this for several months and all of her clients have hired her through our mother. I just don't understand why they're mad me. I do a really good job, I love what I do, I love my clients dearly already, and I'm helping myself. I am 21 years old, have no help from my mother with anything, have a nice house, etc. My sister is almost 30 years old, Mom pays almost all of her bills, and now she relies on Mom to find her jobs. I hoped they would be happy for me, because I am proud that I've only been at this for a few weeks and I'm already exceeding what I had hoped for when I initially started doing this. It isn't like I went behind anybody's back to do this and just because my sister is in the same line of work that I am and I got a job she wanted (that I didn't know she wanted til after I got it), I don't see why this is a reason to be mad at me. What would you do or say to your family if you were in this situation? I didn't mean to cause a family fight and I'm hurt that they can't even muster up a , "Congratulations. Good job."

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I cant really see why that woudl be a prob for them they should congratulate you....CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU~ your sister did not go after the job and never said anything to you so that job was fair game~ they should be proud that you are doing thing s on your own.,. I dont know if I would even do a lot about it ...time for your sister to grow up shell get over it
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 11:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Don't expect things of people, it only sets yourself up for disapointment.
    That being said, your sister and mother are wrong. You need to get yours and not worry about them. If sister wants to be a leech her entire life, you cannot hold yourself down to her level.
    Congrats on job!!!!!!!
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If I were in that situation I would of said to your mom and sister exactly what you said here. If they are still pissed oh well. Your moms probably pissed cuz she's sick and tired of paying your lazy freeloading sisters bills. If your sister is already bailing on her clients I'm sure this job wouldn't be any different. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Shines3

Answer by Shines3 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• just live your life and do not worry about peoples opinons.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think it is sad that they are not happy for you.Just keep on doing what you are doing,you are trying to take care of your family which you are doing an amazing good job!!!!!!CONGRATS on the new job!!!!
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 11:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Ya know what, I know that we're strangers and it isn't the same as hearing it from your mom and sister, but Congratulations and good for you! You are obviously a strong young woman who is strongly motivated to do great things with your life and to provide as best you can for your own family. Many people much older than you can't say they have a nice house and family that they're working happily to support.

I can't see any reason why your mom would be upset with you and I'm sorry, but your sister has no right to be mad either. Like you said,she's clearly in over her head w/ her current work load if she's blowing off her own clients anyway! As long as you didn't purposely "steal" a job away from her that you knew she wanted, it sounds to me like she's just jealous! It sucks that they're mad, but it's not your fault or your problem to fix.

Be proud of yourself girl! You've done good!
    amyb99

Answer by amyb99 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• They are being immature. Congratulations!
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:54 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It sounds like ur mom needs 2 cut the apron srings 2 ur sister. For Gods sake don't dare apoligize to them because u took the initiative & she didn't. Tell ur mom 2 quit coddling ur sister & to make her take charge of her own life. If ur mom would quit payn her way ur sister would get off her LAZY ASS & start takin the jobs that's given her not just the ones that r convenient! Put it 2 them straight & if they still want 2 be mad at u then let them. Her ability 2 take care of herself or lack there of is their problem not urs. Take care of u & urs & let ur sister fend 4 herself.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• if she's been slacking off and not taking care of her own work then just take care of ur own work. be proud of urself and dont let them bring u down.
    fryjm516

Answer by fryjm516 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 6, 2010