genetic screening: what if it's too expensive?

I am 13 weeks and I found out my insurance doesn't cover genetic screening, (sequential screen... for down's syndrome, chromosomal abnormalities and neural tube defects, like spinal bifida). I feel bad because I know it's important to have them (and I missed prenatal vitamins for half of the first trimester). The genetic testing is a COUPLE OF THOUSAND dollars. Am i making a huge mistake by not getting it? did you guys get the screening?

Mamma2E

Asked by Mamma2E at 11:09 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• How old are you?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't know about missing the vitamins, but I think they reccommend testing if you are 35 and older. Or if you have a history if these in your family.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Making an assumption after looking at your profile that you are in your 20s. Chances of Down's is low. If you don't have Spina Bifida in your family - (Mom's side) chances are low.

Just take a deep breath - you and the baby will be fine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:12 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• thanks for your responses guys, I feel a little more at ease. I'm 27
    Mamma2E

Comment by Mamma2E (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I declined the triple screen when pregnant, I had no risk factors and it would not have changed my mind about having the baby anyways
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I did not and don't plan to ever have those tests. If they can't see it on an ultrasound(if I even have one of those) then I won't get it. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just relax and think positive. Your chances are all low anyway and I don't think they do those unless you are older or high risk for them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didn't get it because I didn't see a point in it. Don't worry about it, definitely not worth paying $2k for. If your insurance company thought it was worth something to pay for, they would include it as part of your services.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• As I'm 41, I did have the genetic testing, the total cost was around $2500 including the blood work, genetic counselor and hi-res ultrasound. The main reason why they do it for mothers my age is that they want to be prepared if there is a situation, so Mom and Baby can be supported properly for the duration of pregnancy and during the birth process.
    I did have an abnormal result, which is VERY VERY VERY COMMON, the abnormal result was a 1% chance of Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18. The hi-res ultrasound pretty much ruled those out, so I chose not to have an amniocentesis, which would have been an additional $1500 and we went into hock just to get done what we had done.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I've never got the screening with any of my three pregnancies. I wouldn't worry about it.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Absolutely not!! We had a baby we lost from trisomy 18, we lost her at 29 weeks... We decided with her that there is absolutely nothing we would have done differently.... We would carry to term and deliver what God gave us! So, with my next pregnancy we did NO testing. We found out things were fine at the 20 week u/s anyways.... This time we only did the testing to get the u/s of the little one. It just causes you to worry when most of the time, it's not needed. So don't feel bad, lots of women opt out of it!!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010