Why are some parents so overprotective?

Yes, I am overprotective when it comes to things like strangers, crossing streets and even water, but something as simple as a little soda here in there I don't think will cause them to die early. My child eats McDonald's biweekly but I also keep her extremely active (i.e. she's in dance, Tball, gymnastics, soccer, etc.) so no matter what time of the year she is she is getting her exercise. And TV for goodness sake. She may watch a little more TV in the winter but she is still active. In my opinion I think children should be exposed to these things in moderation to learn how to control themselves when it comes to junk food, soda and TV. Or as another example, I don't lie to my child about things like sex and natural things like that (the only thing I really 'lie' about is Santa Claus). I'm also not the one to take my child out of all of her activities if she has a little cough. So what is so dangerous about all of these things that people still feel the need to protect them from them?

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think children are stronger than we are letting them be these days. Children are not frail.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:13 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I agree do it in moderation. Make the belt to tight and they will go crazy when they are older. That's how my sister is with my niece. She is 16 and still not allowed to date. I keep telling her you can be too strict and it is going to come back and bite her on the bite.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:15 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Not dating at 16 isn't being over protective. That's just a personal choice of your sister for personal relationships.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yeah, I wasn't allowed to date until then but I ended up getting pregnant before I was even 16. So there's an example on how it can come back to bite you.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I dont like my daughter eatn lots of fast food or treats, but she does get it atleadt o ce a week and fastfood 1 every 2wks depending on my schedule, and wen i go oht w her im very stY by my side parents but other then that shes a fall and try and fall again kid. Lol...... But ive def run into overly protective parents. My friend has a 2 yr old and at a play gym both daddy and mommy have to go n w her along w her uncle and they still spoon feed her or cut it extremly tiny like thumb nail size. Her daughter is not independent at all. But is still a great kid? I guess it depends on the parents and their veiws.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I am honest with my kids about everything, I basically tell them what they need to know and when asked if it is something that could worry them then I give the shorter version-I don't want them to worry they are kids. If it is something like sex or dating I am upfront-If we as parents are not, who will they learn from the kids on the street?

As for Santa, Hey I still believe!!!! Santa is the parents so I don't think your really lying-persay.... :) Happy Holiday!!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Eh I think it depends on the circumstance. I'm one of those who will NOT allow my child to have soda because I've witnessed firsthand the ill effects of it and I don't want him to become addicted like I was and DH is. I don't call that being overprotective, I consider it as looking out for his well-being.

To me, being overprotective is not allowing your child to experience life because you are worried something dangerous is going to happen to them. Like for instance, my parents wouldn't let me ride my bike out of the driveway. So all I had was a little strip of gravel to ride my bike on. Yeah that was loads of fun. Now I admit that right now I'm a little nervous about letting my 3 year old have a bike, but when I do finally get him one, I'm not going to regulate him to the driveway (he's not even allowed to play in the driveway--not that there's any room for him to)!

I do however let him watch a lot of TV, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Well... people have different views of the magnitude of different risks. You admit to feeling water, traffic and strangers are your picks... but feel disdain for people who disagree with your ratings...

I never felt that strangers were dangerous to my kids, but I was with them no matter who was around, so they weren't imo at any risk. But I didn't expose others to our germs, not even 'a little cough.'

I know you don't actually believe that children should be exposed to all things in moderation. One gay porn video a year would certainly look like moderation... but is extremely inappropriate viewing for any 8yo. How little heroin is 'moderate'? What's a moderate amount of time in a war zone?

You avoid the dangers you feel are 'too much' and supply the ones you feel are fine, in moderation. Other parents do the same. If you don't respect your list (and this sounds defensive, to me), you can't respect others' lists.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I was ready to disagree with you before I read your question, but I totally do agree.
    Im super careful about life threatening things, anything short of that and Im pretty relaxed. I dont think soda and junk food in MODERATION will hurt them. I dont think TV in MODERATION will hurt them. And before my DD started school this year, she never really had any schedule, and people told me that I would regret it, but she's fine and has adjusted to a school schedule quite nicely. Let them be kids while they can.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• LindaClement really? Really? The things I'm worried about are things that post an immediate danger to child. Gay porn wouldn't however I wouldn't let an 8 year old watch it because it isn't the proper way to learn about those things but my four year old knows that men can love men and women can love women. As for heroin that something I would never want my child to do it and it's something I wouldn't tolerate but the things I'm talking about are things that they are exposed to everyday whether it be at a store or at a friend's house.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Nov. 30, 2010