Why do some groups......

Make it against the rules to delete replies and posts? I always thought it was because they want their group to be as active as possible, and if you delete, it looks less active.

So, does anyone know why? I'm very curious about this!

celestegood

Asked by celestegood at 11:17 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I suspect you're right... but also so there is a record of what was actually said: one of the things trolls like to to is pretend that they've been attacked out of the air, and they do that by removing their initial posts so they look like they're being picked on.

Some people lack for genuine fun in their lives and take it out on others...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:19 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It is dumb, esp when they can't really control it.

My secret was just to wait till the thread died out and do it anyways, they never caught on once the thread was over 2 days old.

I've heard that they want it in case people wanna look it up later (which no one ever does) or because its rude to delete it when the topic is still being discussed.

Some have even claimed once posted it becomes intellectual property of the group owner. Whatever on that. As long as I have use of the delete link, I'll use it if I want to. If I gotta wait for the thread to fizzle out to do it, I will. Bottom line is I'll still do what I want to do.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:21 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm in a certain group that is great, and I love, but I posted the same post in three groups. I got busy one day, and decided to delete some of my older posts, and I accidentally deleted the one from the group that does have a rule against deleting posts.

I got a formal warning! I mean, what the heck! I did it on accident, and what's the point, anyhow? I love this group, but might leave because this rule is stupid.
    celestegood

Comment by celestegood (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i agree, I had a group that said I was no longer welcome cuz of that same thing. I rejoined a few days later and they didn't even realize it was the same person they booted. They were welcoming me as new member. I'm like: What a buncha morons. lol

So ya next time just wait a few days, make sure the thread is dead and then delete away. I'm still doing that and they notice on the older threads. If its not on page one they tend to overlook it.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• To Zoeyis, what if you wrote the op?: Can you delete the whole op if its been dead for a few days? I wonder, if I waited a week and there was not any activity, maybe I could delete it then? I just wanna stay there, but I feel like I should be able to delete a post I made. It's mine, after all. Well, what do you think?
    celestegood

Comment by celestegood (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Celestegood... yeah, I've actually done that. Once the thread dies, people honestly have no interest in it anymore and are focusing on newer things now. Especially if your question has dropped off the main page (page 2 or beyond).

One more thing: the group owners don't even know when someone has deleted anything unless someone who cares happens to report you. The owners themselves rarely pay attn to it unless its brought to their attn or really obvious. So again waiting a few days, usually is all ya gotta do. :)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 1:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Good question. I suspect it has something to do with what you'd mentioned.

It all boils down to the almighty dollar. More views = more sponsors.

SavageGrl

Answer by SavageGrl at 8:12 AM on Dec. 1, 2010

• Actually, it has nothing to do with activity, because activity only counts new posts, new members and the number of members who have visited the group that day. Group owners who have rules like this do so so that no information is lost. I asked CM to delete an old forum out for me that was a closed forum, no one had used it for months, and CM wanted to verify I was sure I wanted it deleted. They said it was preferable to just archive old posts so that no information is lost. I had it deleted anyway.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 1, 2010