How much control should a father have in his grown daughters life?

I just got done reading an article (I'll post the link below) but here is a quote to give you an idea about what this is talking about. Personally I found it quite disturbing, but I wonder how there is really thing "growing movement" if at least some mothers didn't agree...

“Daughters aren’t to be independent. They’re not to act outside the scope 
of their father. As long as they’re under the authority of their fathers, fathers have the ability to nullify or not the oaths and the vows. Daughters can’t just go out 
independently and say, ‘I’m going to marry whoever I want.’ No. The father has 
the ability to say, ‘No, I’m sorry, that has to be approved by me.’”

Link Below cause I can't figure out the clicky thing here...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Adult? None. Parents have no control over their adult children's lives. But this comes from the part of Christianity where a father "owns" his daughter until she "belongs" to her husband. Creepy and disgusting.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:22 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• that is so creepy
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 11:23 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That is just crazy! That sounds like something from about 300 years ago. WHoever started up that movement is totally cruel and absolutely controlling and cold-hearted. THAT is another reason to be sick of organized religion. Ughhh.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The article pushes the idea that this is a "Christian" movement, but honestly I don't see it that way at all. After reading the article I see it as a Control movement more than one backed up by any actual religious sect. I know there are religious sects which believe this way, but they aren't all Christian, so to label Christianity as the issue here I feel is unfair, which is why I didn't put this in the religious section, but the parenting one. The vast majority of Christians do not live this way, and none of the Christians I know would back a belief or practice like this, however I know more than enough controlling fathers & husbands who would happily agree...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Control - NONE. If I had a loving, caring father (which I do, and this guy is NOT one) I would freely ask for his input on certain situations, but in no way shape or form would he control me. It's just a sign of a sick, power-hungry man as far as I'm concerned.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• None.
    If it were a true Christian movement, the father's would know early on that their daughter's are first children of God and second that God is always in control. If they feel they need to control the daughter's they are lacking in faith that God will protect and provide and that they have raised responsible children. JMHO
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That is just wrong in so many levels!

Answer by older at 12:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think in certain socities and cultures that is very common, but since I wasn't raised in that manner I am more inclinded to disagree. I think both men and women should have the full right to choose who they marry. Whether it is agreed with by the parent or not. Yes, I would rather my children ask for and want my blessing, but I am not the one living with their new spouse. That should be something they fully choose to do, not me. I think that every child should have the right to choose, especially when it comes to who they marry.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That is a big fat NOT.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:40 PM on Nov. 30, 2010