Why is it such a taboo to talk about homosexuals?

My daughter is only four but I have explained to her that some men love other men and some women love other women because I read to her one of the banned books about a boy with two fathers. I would like my child to grow up as open minded as possible and not hate people for who they are (unless it would be something like criminals but I still don't want to teach her to hate).

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 11:29 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why is it taboo? It's not to me or my family.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:30 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The fact that a book about a boy with two loving fathers is banned. How is it justified that this should be banned?
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• it used to be, but now people are becoming more open-minded toward it and it's becoming a more widely accepted concept. being a homosexual in the past was highly hush-hush and obviously it's forbidden in the bible. i think now that people are branching away from the religious tie to it it's not so taboo anymore. God wants us to love thy neighbor after all right? i think it's great what you're teaching your daughter. so much hate is not good for the heart.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Good job, mama! It's sad that for some people, that's not okay.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• not sure, I grew up with a lesbian sister. For me it is just normal. I am straight and would never think of being with another women, but if that is her choice, go for it.
    I have raised by kids with Aunt _______ and Aunt ______. Once my son said why is it AUnt anAUnt with no uncle. I told him they love each other and that is how it is for them. When other questions come up we will address them then.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Why not just teach that all people are different in many different ways, instead of emphasising one thing if you are teaching openmindedness?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:32 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'm like you, I feel we make it taboo when we refuse to talk about it - so I talk about it. But I think it's a subject that many parents stay away from because either they or someone in their family has strong feelings about homosexuality in general. It's the same reason baby girl clothing comes in pink and baby boy clothing is blue, because the idea of putting a boy in pink makes people uncomfortable not because it will really hurt anyone.

Of course, I'm the type that sees a taboo and makes a point to break it, just because it pisses people off - lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:34 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• People are afraid it's contagious.... that if they never mention it, their kids couldn't possibly come up with it on their own.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:36 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• humans are instinctively uncomfortable and fearful of that which they are not comfortable with or do not understand.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:37 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Musicmom80 it's not the only thing I talk to my daughter about it's just whatever comes up. For instance her best friend from school is mixed and she always say she looks different but I ask her if she's nice and if she is then I say than it doesn't matter if she looks different.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 11:38 AM on Nov. 30, 2010