Still don't support net neutrality?

Comcast is opposed to efforts by the FCC to impose net neutrality guidelines on Internet providers. Ironically, though, it was Comcast that started the ball rolling on the net neutrality debate, and it may be Comcast that puts the nail in the coffin and guarantees that the FCC finally establishes some net neutrality rules.

Comcast fired the net neutrality "shot heard round the world" when it throttled BitTorrent peer-to-peer networking traffic. While the FCC did sanction Comcast for discriminating against specific types of network traffic, Comcast was victorious in appealing the penalty on the grounds that there are no formal net neutrality guidelines in place, and the FCC can't enforce a rule that doesn't exist.

The FCC proposed formally implementing a framework to guarantee that providers simply provide an open road to the Internet. The debate over net neutrality has raged on, with the FCC rumored to be ready to put it to a vote at its December meeting. Broadband Internet and mobile providers have maintained that the market can police itself and that no government oversight is necessary, yet major players like AT&T, Verizon, and Comcast seem to take every opportunity to prove that argument false.

Comcast--which has its own on-demand streaming content and pay-per-view movies--demanded a recurring fee in exchange for allowing Netflix streaming media content to flow unfettered through its network. The fee--which Netflix backend provider Level 3 Communications agreed to pay to avoid service interruptions for Netflix customers--feels a lot like extortion a' la paying mob "protection money" to avoid "bad things" happening to your business.

Andrew Jay Schwartzman, Senior Vice President and Policy Director of Media Access Project, issued a statement regarding the current Comcast issue. "Comcast's request of payment in exchange for content transmission is yet another example of why citizens need strong, effective network neutrality rules that include a ban on such ‘paid prioritization' practices. It is also yet another clear demonstration of why Comcast should not be permitted to acquire NBC Universal, given its clear tendency to exercise control in the video marketplace."

The timing of Comcast's extortion of Level 3 in exchange for delivering Netflix streaming media content, and the poorly-veiled connection to stifling competition for its own streaming media services seems almost suspect. With FCC action on net neutrality expected within weeks, the latest events with Comcast make a very solid case for why net neutrality is necessary and provide ample justification for the FCC to move forward.

If I didn't know better, I would say that Comcast is actively lobbying in favor of net neutrality...and doing a damn fine job of it.
---------------
This is YOUR internet. Stand up for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• as long as my general anonymity remains intact and its not affecting me in my real life, I'm fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• That was a lot of info. wow!
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I support it. We need it. If we don't have it, our ability to access sites will be hampered. The Internet will be controlled by companies. We don't want that.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No, I am not in favor of net neutrality. I believe in FREE enterprise and the opening up of competition in the PRIVATE sector and get and keep gov hands off of it. How much fee mongering will there be when a republican is in office with unfettered rule over the internet?
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• *fear* mongering.
    Carpy

• No, because I actually understand what net neutrality really means in the big picture and don't react to buzzwords and fearmongering. I do not want my financial transactions waiting in line while your husband downloads more porn, thanks.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• IDK about the rest of you, but I don't feel that our government (the same government that can't even keep their secret documents secret)has shown itself a steadfast keeper for the people. They can't even handle the helping that sits upon their plate, I am not willing to give them seconds.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:06 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I do support net neutrality. This has become the United Corporations of America quite enough without big corporations controlling the Internet too. The Internet was net neutral until 2005 and it was always intended to be. Supporters are just trying to keep a free and open Internet for everyone. Governments regulating ISPs is not the same as controlling the content of the Internet or telling them how much to charge. I don't trust corporations to do what's right for EVERYONE. Period. All they care about are their profits and their shareholders--that's what they're designed to look out for. We the people, through our government and elected officials, need to look out for ourselves.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• We the people, through our government and elected officials, need to look out for ourselves.

And you believe you are looking out for yourself by significantly slowing down internet traffic, opening up additional avenues for phishing and viruses, and generally clogging up the net with more cheap,slow moving spam, then requiring all domestic ISPs to carry that content by law? Is there a reason you want all ISPs to move all operations outside the US?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:43 PM on Nov. 30, 2010