Canned green beans...

How do you cook them? I usually pop them in the microwave but wnat to try something different thats still easy.

MamaSpurg

Asked by MamaSpurg at 11:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Anon, canned food is a great option for enjoying fruits and veggies year round. So are frozen. Plus, some areas of the country have less access than others to fresh fruits and veggies. They also make cooking easier. I used canned beans all the time, instead of having to let them cook for hours before using them.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I buy frozen. But if I'm making canned, I just drain them, put them in a pot. Add fresh water and bring to a boil.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:49 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Then why do they still make them?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I make green beans and baccon with them. I use a package of baccon and cut it up into little pieces and then two cans of green beans. Throw the green beens in a frying pan on high with the cooked cut up baccon with a little salt and pepper for a few minutes until some of the green beans turn brown. Its pretty delicious. But make sure to stir pretty often because the green beans will stick to the pan when cooking them on high.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I can't stand the taste of frozen veggies - give me fresh or canned any day. For my green beans, I cut one slice of bacon into very small pieces and fry it, dump in a can of drained green beans and heat them through. They are so good and very quick and easy.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Green bean casserole- 1 can green beans mixed with 1 can cream of mushroom soup, mix in 1/3 can fried onion, put in casserole dish, sprinkle the rest of onions on top, bake for 20 minutes or so. Not the healthiest, but it's easy and tasty.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:50 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i dont buy canned often - much higher sodium content then in frozen or fresh. but when i do make those - i put them in a pot and add a little butter, and let it simmer over low heat til the butter is melted.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I only buy the canned salt free green beans and its not like we eat a can every day! Those are some good ideas, Ive also heard of people boiling them in Chicken Stock?? Has anyone tried that?
    MamaSpurg

Comment by MamaSpurg (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I buy frozen. I find the canned tastes like it's been sitting in a can.

Yes, you can boil them in chicken broth. You can drain them and add them to a Cream of Mushroom Soup Sauce. You can also just add butter while you boil them in water.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think frozen green beans taste rubbery, I always prefer canned. I normally just heat mine up on the stove with some butter, minced garlic (I buy it already minced in the jar, so it's super easy) and some steak seasoning. I let it cook for awhile, typically 10 minutes while I'm finishing the rest of the meal. It's very good.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010