Trying to get my one year old off of the bottle.

I've taken all his bottles away during the day and put milk in a sippy he wont drink it but its there if he needs it. Is water okay at night in a bottle for him because he still wakes up at night for the bottle.

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No, if he wants a drink at night give it in a sippy cup just like you would in the day. When he's thirsty he will drink. Make sure that you get one of the sippies with the soft top. This will make the transition easier for him. I did this with all 3 of my kids and it worked fine. It will be hard for a few days but then he'll be used to it and you won't have to worry anymore about the bottle.
    jnd951999

Answer by jnd951999 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If you really don't want him on the bottle I would not do the bottle at night. I think you are doing a good job during the day. My son was like that - I needed to get the bottles out of his mind. He didn't drink out of a sippy at first, but once he realized the bottle was gone for good, he drank out of it no problem. You could always give him a sippy at night with water if he needs a drink in the night. Maybe one that has a softer top like a bottle nipple.. ?? Hope this helps some! :)
    Annastacialynn

Answer by Annastacialynn at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Haha I was just about to ask this thanks :)
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Why do you care which kind of container your baby eats out of?

I have never managed to figure out why it's fine for a 63yo driving a car to be drinking out of a bottle (pop, water, whatever) but not a 14mo baby.

Bottles are a tidy delivery method for expressed breastmilk when fresh isn't available, or for breastmilk substitutes... they don't 'mean' anything (apart from to children who have been taught that no one else is going to soothe them, so the bottle becomes a substitute parent, who tend to get VERY clingy of them which makes sense) and aren't any different from a sippy cup, except one is much more likely to spill than the other.

Sippy cups aren't grown-up containers --adults don't use them at all. They're clearly just re-designed bottles for parents who are too distracted to notice they're buying the same thing twice. Yay for capitalism!
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Take away the bottle completely. If he knows it's there then he's not going to switch to the sippy cup at all. Throw out all of the bottles and just offer him the sippy cup for night time and day time. He'll eventually give in and accept that is his only choice.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:07 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My daughter (14 mths old) will drink the milk in the morning and at night out of a sippy if it is warm. During the day she will drink cold. It is really weird, but I think that is just what she is used to from when she would get a bottle. You could try warming it up a bit at night. I think it helps them sleep better if they get some milk at night. Good luck.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yes water is great at night especially since he has teeth cus it can mess up his teeth if you give him milk or juice try to limit his sugar in take at night cus the sugar can sit for hours on his teeth and gums and can cause cavitives also try to limit his bottles during the day the way i did it with my 1 year old was i gave her 1 bottle in the morning and 1 at night and then slowly i started taking her bottle away from her in the morning i would give her sippy cup during the day and one night i just didnt get her bottle at night and she was fine without it and after that i never gave her ..her bottle anymore i bought a sippy that was shape like a bottle and it has a rubber tip just like the nipples on the bottles do you can get them at your local walmart or target stores there called munchkin sippy's cup my daughter has been using those sippy cups since i told her off the bottle at 15 months..
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My whole thing is that you should decide as a parent what is best. if you want your baby off the bottle, then go with that, But I did it slowly with my son. I still give him one bottle of milk in the morning and night. He's starting to take the sippy cup on the weekends with milk. It's a personal choice on when and how you do it. Just know that there's not a wrong answer. SOme decide to do it early and some do it later.
    GOod luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:16 PM on Nov. 30, 2010