Eau Claire, WI: couple charged in 5-month-old's death; father admits throwing girl against wall Father admits to throwing her at wall

Eau Claire, Wis., couple charged in 5-month-old's death; father admits throwing girl against wall; Father admits to throwing her at wall

By Andrew Dowd
Leader-Telegram of Eau Claire
Updated: 11/28/2010 12:00:19 PM CST

An Eau Claire couple waited nearly six hours before calling 911 after their 5-month-old daughter was thrown against a wall Tuesday night and shaken violently by her father, according to police.

The father, Tyreece Triplett, 19, is in the Eau Claire County Jail on felony charges of first-degree reckless homicide, child abuse and three misdemeanor charges. His bail was set at $500,000 cash during a Friday appearance before a county judge.

The girl's mother, Molly Campbell, 18, is scheduled to appear in court Monday to be formally charged with child neglect and a couple of other misdemeanors.

Emergency medical technicians resuscitated the baby girl early Wednesday morning, transported her by ambulance to Sacred Heart Hospital in Eau Claire and then airlifted the infant to Children's Hospital in St. Paul. The baby died Thursday.

According to the criminal complaint, Triplett told police he went over to Campbell's apartment and watched the baby while her mother went out about 11 p.m. Tuesday to pick up friends.

Within 10 minutes, the baby "freaked out," Triplett said, and he shook her, threw her against the wall and violently shook her crib with her in it, according to police.

When Campbell returned to the apartment, Triplett told her the baby had fallen off the couch. Campbell tried opening the baby's eyes, but only one would open at a time. Triplett described the baby as "out of it."

According to police, Campbell said she was alone Tuesday night and that the baby fell off the couch while she was caring for the infant. Campbell later told police that she feared what Triplett would do when police were called to her apartment the night the baby was injured.

Campbell faces a charge of party to the crime of bail jumping because Triplett had been in her apartment, even though his bail bond from a pending domestic abuse case did not permit him to see her or visit her home.

Triplett was charged Sept. 30 with misdemeanor domestic abuse charges of battery and disorderly conduct for allegedly punching and scratching Campbell's face Sept. 29.

Source:
http://www.twincities.com/crime/ci_16728682?nclick_check=1

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Even if the baby had fallen out of the crib, when the mother came home and found her "out of it", she should have called 911. What is wrong with people?
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 5:52 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• He deserves a slow painful death.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• So Sad, sometimes I am truly amazed at what people will do to harm another person. It makes me sick to think that I am fighting to keep my DD alive, while this person is killing theirs, just because they are crying.

There are no words!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• He is evil. They need to sterilize that idiot. He needs to rot in jail---in a cell with Bubba. Bubba will take care of him.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• devilDamn punk a@@ POS..slam his head into concrete

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:01 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Piece of crap man. Someone should shoot him.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:56 AM on Nov. 30, 2010

• One of my mom's earliest memories was flying through the air before hitting a wall...

I think this says more about leaving unequipped people unsupported and responsible for the lives of other humans (and the primitive desire to hurt people we disapprove of) than it says about the people involved.

It certainly says a very great deal about how this young man was raised... including the education he received on the government's mandate --apparently, he was never introduced to helpful subjects like Dealing Effectively With Frustration or The Kind and Loving Care of Small Humans.

I bet he got to take algebra, though. Super important, that is.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:00 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Poor baby girl! Some people should never be parents ugh!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:02 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Wow... that poor baby... I hope that man gets what is coming to him!!! I can't believe some people can be so evil and heartless
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I used to work in emergency communications. I took a call that was eerily similar to this, and it still haunts me. That baby was seven months old, and the father threw the baby against the wall, but told his girlfriend (the baby's mother) when she returned home that the baby fell off the bed. That baby died, too.  Stories like this are beyond comprehension.  I'm sure these men didn't mean to kill their babies, but they had no training in caring for infants, and obviously have huge anger and control issues.  How heartbreaking for everyone.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 12:08 PM on Nov. 30, 2010