Have you dealt with someone who has dementia?

I was wondering if any of you have dealt with someone who had dementia and what kind of things they would do and what things got worse as time progressed.

I lived next door to my grandma my whole life and about 2yrs ago the drs said she had dementia. It wasn't really noticeable at the time, but now I feel it has progressed. She has been having conversations with herself all day. Yesterday, I sat down with her for about 45min and she really didn't even notice me for most of the time. She just kept talking. Well, she was having conversations with herself and a 3rd party...she mostly talks to God, but she actually changes her voices and she talks pretty fast too. I'm actually pretty happy she talks to God lol if that makes sense.

simpleesr23

Asked by simpleesr23 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• My brother has a rare form of dementia, and it is heat wrenching to see what is left of the man we use to know. Talking to themselves is common, it is like they are thinking out loud. Try to be with her as much as you can, she might not be aware you are there, but you sure are......

Answer by older at 12:15 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My grandfather went through this.. Very sad. It got to the point that family members took turns staying with him round the clock so he wouldn't wonder off. He eventually had to go to a nursing home. Visit as often as you can and just accept this is happening, which it sounds like you are doing. One of the saddest things I see is family trying to explain over and over who they are and getting frustrated with the person. Just go with the flow... hug
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:29 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My father is in Stage 2 Alzheimer's and he suffers from aphasia at times; he just can't get words out even though he knows what he wants to say. He also has trouble staying on task frequently. My father is a world-renound particle physicist, one of seven people in the world who do what he did in his work and it's absolutely heartbreaking to see him struggle. I suggest reading a book entitled "The 36-Hour Day", it's very helpful in terms of what to expect and how to handle things.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• It will get progressively worse. Don't try and argue with her, redirection works when she gets upset, just go with the flow and try and visit as much as possible now. GL
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• My father who is almost 90 has dementia. He will be fine but then he takes a nap and gets disoriented. He will wake up in the middle of the night and think it is morning and take a shower and shave and my mother tries to get him to come back to bed.Then he wants to get ready to go out. It is sad. He was a cop for over 30 years....
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks ladies! I actually recorded our conversation when she finally tuned into me, but sadly it only lasted about 5min and then she went back to talking to God.

Like I said, I'm glad she is talking to him. And well we never know...the people are probably talking to someone who is there, but WE just don't have the capability to see them.
    simpleesr23

Comment by simpleesr23 (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010