Would you vaccinate your 10yo son against HPV?

September saw the first male casualty to an HPV vaccine, a ten year old boy from New Jersey. This little boy died just eight days after being vaccinated with gardasil. The VAERS report says " Mother called me on 9-17-10 afternoon that her son is sick and feeling very weak. I recommended the mother to take him to nearest ER as the patient was about 50 miles away and mother took him to ER where he was transferred to another hospital." The boy was complaining of "asthenia and malaise", which according to dictionary.reference.com is severe fatigue and weakness, and a "general feeling" of unwell, which are a common complaint among those adversely affected by an HPV Vaccine, as well as,seizures, paralysis, blood clots, weakness, fatigue, temporary blindness, heart problems, fainting, numerous heart ailments, stomach issues and vomiting, etc.

Now, I don't vaccinate at all, so this article kinda made my head spin, but when I reposted it on FB even my friends that do vaccinate found it completely ridiculous to be vaccinating a 10 year old boy against HPV... Which made me wonder...

Would / Did you vaccinate your sons as young as 10? Why or why not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• SabrinaMBowen

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:17 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I'd wait until the teenage years, but I certainly would vaccinate a boy for HPV.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didnt get the HPV vaccine and no way in hell i will give it to my kids
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I wouldn't vaccinate....but the Pediatrician might.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• The average citizen does not need to be deciding what the indications are for vaccinations.
    Yes, I would and did. Both kids.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 12:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No...as far as I know, the Gardasil is only tested on girls.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Gardasil is only tested on girls.

You are partly correct. Minimal testing on boys has been done and it's been shown NOT to protect against HPV in males because the nature of the infection is different between males and females.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i don't know why someone would give it to a boy? I know men can get HPV but even if they do get it ..its rare that they find out..unless their partner has it. I just don't understand why a 10 yr old boy would get vaccinated. I would get a young girl the vaccine but probably not a boy.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I thought that was for girls
    amccrea

Answer by amccrea at 12:30 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• odd i dont vax so no i would never give it to my children boy or girl! seems kinda silly to give it to a boy tho!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 30, 2010