Narcissism no longer psyciatric disease

Narcissist is one of the labels so famously given to Obama. Do you think his being president has anything to do with this? If not, knowing the definition, why do you think they would do this? Is it now in vogue to love yourself to a fault?

Link text

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe at all that he is any more narcissistic than any other person who has sought public office.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:19 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• If Narcissism is a mental disease, then an awful lot of people these days need treatment. I think it's less a mental problem and more a symptom of what is wrong with society in general.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I think the answer to this is obvious. Do you remember when it became okay to tell a lie--when it, in fact, became a good thing?? It's fairly typical to change the rules as well as the meaning of words, so why not do it again?
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yeah. I heard on the news they are changing the name to "the Barack Obama disorder." He, after all suffers from it more than anyone we know,and we are all paying the price for it.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:21 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Yep..he's a Narc!
    gogogirl79

Answer by gogogirl79 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• How many a narcissists does it take to change a light bulb?

Just one he holds up the bulb and the world spins around him.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• No....lol! That is so funny though...

I know so many people who are narcissists. If you look up the definition, it totally describes a few people i know to a T. They are functionable people who would never hurt anyone & don't really cause problems. I don't think being self absorbed should be considered a psychiatric disease. If someone is narcissistic to the point of hurting others, then it's not longer narcissism. It's called megalomania & is a lot more serious. So, they can still label someone with a psychiatric disease who is narcissistic to a serious fault. It just won't be called narcissism...

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Aww, my stalkers are following me around. I dared utter ONE PEEP against their messiah,and they voted me down! I can just feel the love. Thank you for your support!

kiss

cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I don't think he is a diagnosable narcissist, but he does seem to love himself more than the average person should.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Would you guys reveal to the rest of us where Obama shows signs of being a narcissist? You think he "loves himslef to much" ? That is a joke......he is a lot more modest and self-deprecating than many other Presidents have been and he is a nice guy....not a dense, barely literate cowboy.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 12:31 PM on Nov. 30, 2010