Why is everyone so mad about the "X" in Christmas?

"X" is the Greek letter Chi and is the ancient symbol for the word "Christ". Essentially, the "X" is the word Christ. It was used WAY back in the day as such. So, no one took Christ out, they just used a different spelling of his name.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:22 PM on Nov. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I didn't know that...thanks.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 12:23 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• i think it's really because they are looking to be offended at something. either that or they just don't want to do research. Either way their emotions and reactions are theirs to deal with not mine.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:24 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didn't know that either..though it never really bothered me. Thanks for the info :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Some people are just really personal about it just as if the spelling of god and God...even though it's probably a typing error.
    simpleesr23

Answer by simpleesr23 at 12:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Seeing how Christmas is more of a secular holiday now a days than it is religious anyways, what does it matter? Sure, there are still those that celebrate it on a religious basis, but out of all the people I know who celebrate it at all, I can count on one hand the amount of them that go to church - or hell, are even Christian. Most people celebrate out of tradition more than religious reasons, so who cares if they chose to spell out Christmas or not. If you're one of those religious people, spell it out, if you aren't deal with the fact that other's aren't and learn to accept that Christ doesn't have anything to do with many people's Christmas Celebrations...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:25 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Even if it was just the Arabic letter "X" (the one in our alphabet), I don't see a problem with the abbreviation. By using the abbreviation we aren't forgetting the actual word, it's just a shorter version. A lot of people don't know about the greek letter chi, though, and sometimes a little information goes a long way to curing ignorance :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• Thanks guys. The reason for this post is because of a status I keep seeing on Facebook:

"It's Christmas.......NOT X-mas!!! Don't remove Christ from HIS birthday!!! Post this if you agree.......Please don't X out the Lord!!!!! (I would like to see this on...everyone's wall!!!)..... If you agree please repost"

I get a little sick of reading this year after year. I figured I would see what response I would get.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I have no idea why. I've never been offended by it myself--now or even when I was a Christian. I've known a few people who were offended by it though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I didn't know that many people were mad about it, but I also didn't know about the CHI thing. Cool!
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:35 PM on Nov. 30, 2010

• I see that thing on facebook too and it is annoying. I guess the ones who are pushing to keep 'Christ' in Christmas don't realize that Christmas started out as a PAGAN holiday and had NOTHING to do with Christ and his birth!
    Anonymous